Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Server at the Address

Have been using this 10.4.11 server for a long time. Came to change the IP address (changeip, etc) on the server (to a whole new range) and now just get the "No Server at this Address" error.

Tried using DNS name, IP address, local address and .local all fail. servermgr is running, have resistalled Admin app. Nothing in the log files apart form "ServerManager session failed in connect.... "

Ideas anyone?

Have other 10.4.11 servers and they worked fine after they were moved over.

Tim

Mainly xserve's and mac mini's, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 10, 2010 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2010 5:30 AM

Hello Tim

Was this a hostname change as well or simply an address change? I have known changeip not change the name - admittedly rare - sometimes. What does:

sudo scutil --get HostName

report? If it's still reporting the old hostname then changeip did not do its 'thing.' I have had to run it more than once on occasion in the past. As a utility it's generally OK for changing the IP address generally. I find scutil is far better for changing the hostname:

sudo scutil --set HostName thenewnameyouwant

You could try removing any keychains as well as associated application property lists? Whenever I've seen this problem that's what usually 'cures' it for me.

HTH?

Tony
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2010 5:30 AM in response to Tim Harris

Hello Tim

Was this a hostname change as well or simply an address change? I have known changeip not change the name - admittedly rare - sometimes. What does:

sudo scutil --get HostName

report? If it's still reporting the old hostname then changeip did not do its 'thing.' I have had to run it more than once on occasion in the past. As a utility it's generally OK for changing the IP address generally. I find scutil is far better for changing the hostname:

sudo scutil --set HostName thenewnameyouwant

You could try removing any keychains as well as associated application property lists? Whenever I've seen this problem that's what usually 'cures' it for me.

HTH?

Tony

May 11, 2010 3:48 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Hi Tony.

Thanks for the suggestions. Seem that the hostname is correct (but interesting you said that and the old host name was changed as well, since the original one had a type in it)

Tried to remove plist and that did not help (although when I tried that before when it first failed - it worked once), and same with keychain.

Have also tried to re run the changeip to change the hostname to something wrong and then put it back again and still unable to connect.

Strange. Also - I cannot connect to this server from another one (using Server Admin) as I get the same error message.

No Server at the Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.