Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote Screen From 10.4 to 10.6

Is there a way to take control of a 10.6 server screen from a 10.4 server.
I've tried Chicken for VNC, but the authentification process is not supported.

Power Mac G5 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8), OS X Server

Posted on May 11, 2010 1:44 AM

11 replies

May 11, 2010 2:04 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Hi Tony,

thanks, but I've just tried to install ARDesktop with no chance. The installation program gave me a red exclamation point on the disk with no explanation ??

I checked the recommended configuration, but it doesn't talk about G5 compatibility.

... Ooooops it was the admin one.

I installed the ARD client, but I cannot find the application to connect to the 10.6 box.

Message was edited by: Thierry Boufflet

May 11, 2010 3:36 AM in response to Thierry Boufflet

Hi Thierry

Apple Remote Desktop Server is not free. You have to buy it. It has nothing to do with hardware compatibility as such. ARD's System Requirements are listed here:

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/specs.html

3rd Column. With 10.5 and now 10.6 Server and Client are built-in. Systems prior to this only had the VNC Client built-in. If you wanted to control 10.4 and earlier clients you had to either purchase/use ARD or similar. Some people at that time used Chicken of the VNC (there are others). I personally have tended to use ARD as it's more than just a VNC Server.

HTH?

Tony

May 11, 2010 6:00 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Tony,

I noticed that ARD was not free, that really an issue. If you consider that un Mac Mini + OS X Srv cost about 900€, ARD is about 30% of the whole expense, that's a lot ! ! ! I would like to avoid to spend this money, I don't need all these features.

You said "If you wanted to control 10.4", I don't want that, I want to control 10.6 srv from 10.4.

VNC server on 10.6 would be a solution, but I cannot figure out how to make it works. Chicken for VNC en both machines, one as server (10.6) and the other as client (10.4), even if I use an other port that 5900, stop remote management service on 10.6, the client connect, but there is nothing on 10.4 the screen.

What do you mean by HTH?, I'm sorry, I don't know what that means ?

Message was edited by: Thierry Boufflet

May 11, 2010 6:10 AM in response to Thierry Boufflet

Thierry

HTH? = Hope This Helps?
IMO = In My Opinion

IMO If you want to control anything on 10.5 or better from a 10.4 or earlier workstation you'd be better off purchasing ARD. The words I used were meant as an example only. You've understood something else.

If Chicken of VNC is not working for you and you don't have that much budget for anything else possibly try:

http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html

Or any of the others here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=VNC&srchAr ea=macosx%7Ctiger&submit=Go

Or possibly search yourself?

HTH?

Tony

May 11, 2010 6:28 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Tony,

Yeeeessss ! JollyFastVNC works great.

I did search on my own, but most of people want to control 10.4 from 10.6 or 10.5, not the opposite.

FYI 😉, I understood why I've got these troubles. When you activate remote administration on 10.5 or 10.6, the client must run secure connection with the remote machine. This is what is done by JollyFastVNC and not by regular VNC client.

But what I still not understand, is why is you run uncrypted VNC on both sides, it doesn't work. If someone has an explanation, that would be helpfull.

TALT

That means: Thanks a lot Tony 🙂

May 11, 2010 7:24 AM in response to Thierry Boufflet

Hi Thierry

I understand and I'm glad you found a solution!

+"When you activate remote administration on 10.5 or 10.6, the client must run secure connection with the remote machine"+

I'm not sure I understand? I'm looking at multiple servers with what is built-in and I've not had to use an encrypted connection on any of them.

Thank you for the feedback!

Tony

May 11, 2010 7:55 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Let say that you have a 10.6 server. You want to control it screen from a 10.4 client or server.
If you open Admin Server->Select your server->Preferences->General (first tab on the left)->activate Remote Administration (sorry but my version of OS X is French, I don't teh nale of this tab in English) and then try to access with any pure VNC client. You will see something like "uncompatible version".

Known if you try to access with JollysFastVNC, it will prompt for login and password and will told you that the fingerprints has been stored. If this is not vnc tunelled via ssh it looks like it is to me ?

HTH ;-

Thierry

Remote Screen From 10.4 to 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.