Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up SMB to respect ACL

Hi,

I've setup my 10.6.3 server to use ACL and it works fine over AFP. However, I have a bunch of problems with the AFP service, so checked if SMB was giving me the same problem and it doesn't. So, I want to change my users to use SMB instead of the defacto AFP. All clients are macs (10.5.8 and 10.6.x). Using smb, right now, it looks like it uses the posix permission and just ignores the ACL on the share point. So how can I make SMB work like AFP when permission is concerned? I've changed the umask on each client machine and on the server so the default folder creation is 775 instead of 755, but if they copy something on the server that was done prior to that change, the files are read-write by the owner only and read only for the group and others.

There is also the issue of special characters not supported by SMB that are supported by AFP. Is there a list of those characters, specifically for the OS X server SMB implementation?

TIA
Jeff

iMac 24", core 2 duo, 2.8Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 4Gb RAM

Posted on May 11, 2010 11:16 AM

There are no replies.

Setting up SMB to respect ACL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.