Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Image size and profiles in Aperture;

1885 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2010 8:07 AM by Pat Taylor RSS
Pat Taylor Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
May 11, 2010 11:58 AM
version 3.0.3.

First problem is I can't see where I can fix the image size before getting to the print page! I prefer to do this and preview it before printing, as I used to in PS and then Lightroom.

Other problem is that Aperture tells me to turn off my printer colour management, but I can't get to such a control from the HP B9180 driver that is now part of OSX (10.6).

Help please!
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • gocuk2@yahoo. Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    May 11, 2010 12:35 PM (in response to Pat Taylor)
    File > Export > Versions > Edit is one way.

Or > Aperture > Presets > Export is another.

No idea about the Printer.

Allan
  • Rick Lang Level 4 Level 4 (1,230 points)
    May 12, 2010 9:27 AM (in response to Pat Taylor)
    Pat Taylor wrote:
    Aperture tells me to turn off my printer colour management, but I can't get to such a control from the HP B9180 driver that is now part of OSX (10.6).

It's possible there's a more recent printer driver on the HP website than the latest version released for Snow Leopard. It's been my experience there's a delay with updating the drivers. I don't use that printer, but is there a button or action item in the driver that allows you to see more options such as colour management?
    iMac 27" i7-860 quad core W8003 2.8GHz, 2TB SATA, 16GB, ATI 4850 512MB, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPhone 3G 16GB, Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II
  • Rick Lang Level 4 Level 4 (1,230 points)
    May 13, 2010 10:33 AM (in response to Pat Taylor)
    I know Canon recommends one download their latest drivers from their website if you are having problems as they are going to be more current at times.

Understand if you are a little frustrated; I don't know why the option to disable printer colour management is not shown.

If it is any consolation: If I print from Aperture I also have a slight magenta cast that I can't get rid of (and my driver does have all the options displayed for the Canon Pixma 9500 Mark II). The colour cast was greatly improved in Snow Leopard 10.6.3 but there's still something not right.

At least I have the workaround to use Canon software and Canon plug-ins to manage the printing with my ICC profiles; also works beautifully in Photoshop which I use as an Aperture plug-in for my most important prints.
    iMac 27" i7-860 quad core W8003 2.8GHz, 2TB SATA, 16GB, ATI 4850 512MB, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPhone 3G 16GB, Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II
  • CalxOddity Level 3 Level 3 (680 points)
    May 13, 2010 2:35 PM (in response to Pat Taylor)
    Pat,
    You don't need to set the image size as such. The image prints on the page according to two sets of criteria:
    1. Whether you set dpi to custom or a specific value, and
    2. The page margins you set either as a printing once-off, or as a new printing pre-set.

For example, I print "arty" photos in a portrait format on A4 matte paper. Left and right margins are around 3cm, top margin is around 3cm, bottom margin is around 5 cm (all numbers are from memory...). I have a title just below the image.

I created this particular page setup for a certain photo and liked it so much I saved it as another print preset. Any photo I print using that preset fits within the margins defined. The very next print might be the same photo, but this time printing A3+ on Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl. Choose the photo, select the relevant print pre-set, print. Re-sizing is irrelevant - the print in both cases is coming from the processed raw at maximum resolution.

Regards,
    Calx
    iMac 24" 2.8GHz 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • CalxOddity Level 3 Level 3 (680 points)
    May 14, 2010 6:05 AM (in response to Pat Taylor)
    Hmmm... wouldn't call it long-winded, but rather short-winded - unless of course your images are all different sizes (ie you do a lot of cropping). Even then though, once you have created the preset, the image will print consistently within the borders providing image dpi remains set to automatic.

This evening I printed three different images all using the same print preset, and they all came out one the page where they were supposed to. Took 10 seconds per image to set for printing. One was 3000x2000 pixels, the others were arbitrary proportional crops. All look the same on the page.

As for the black border, sounds like you have a border set in the print settings. Change the border width back to zero and the border goes away. Stop doing Adobe-think, and the rest of the problems go away, too!

Regards,
    Calx

Message was edited by: CalxOddity
    iMac 24" 2.8GHz 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.