Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hostname duplication

Hi, I've got a mac mini running as a media server of sorts, and every couple of days I'll go to access via other computers or iPhones it and won't be able to, only to find that it's hostname has changed.

Comes up with a message saying the hostname is already taken, so it has renamed itself to <hostname>(2). And there if definitely no other device on the network with the same name.

Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening, and what I could do to stop this?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but is connected via ethernet to a Time Capsule which is running the network.

Mac Mini 3,1 2.26GHz, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on May 12, 2010 12:54 AM

13 replies

May 12, 2010 6:31 PM in response to baltwo

I can almost 100% guarantee there are no other devices of the same name on the network. Even ran a network scan and checked up the hostnames of every other connected device. Name isn't exactly common either, being called "Mini Media Server", and only ever having been connected to this one network.

Unless my network is being hacked into from outside and someone is just messing with my head(unlikely), the only thing I can think of is that the router is somehow duplicating the one computer and thinking it is there when it's inactive, so when it comes back online it sees to instances and hence renames the actual computer.. Although I don't see any logical reason why the router would do that.. Then again, it is an airport after all.

May 13, 2010 1:45 AM in response to baltwo

Doesn't really have anything to do with wifi, as it's wired into the airport. Nonetheless, definitely no other volumes, servers or anything else going on with that name. Only on a pretty simple network, with 3 macs and three phones ever regularly connecting.. Have scanned IP range several times, all the devices are known and not the same name as the computer in question.

Either way, haven't actually had any problems since it happened last time, so maybe it just comes down to one of those mysteries that never really make much sense.

May 17, 2010 6:03 AM in response to Darvo

Hi , I have been having the same intermittent issue recently. I have an ethernet link to an airport extreme (running in bridge mode), linked to an ADSL modem. I suspect the problem is to do with the airport extreme. I have also been having intermittent IP clashes due to another device using the same IP address as my Mac and this appears to be the airport extreme as a scan sometimes shows the misbehaving device to have the same MAC address as the airport extreme. Recently this appears to be happening less often but the hostname duplication problem has started occurring instead. I always seen to be able to rename my Mac back to its usual name, so I do not think the abnormal behaviour persists for long. It sure would be nice if Apple could fix the problem.

Aug 12, 2010 6:08 PM in response to Michael Swarbrick

I have been having the same problem regularly (several times a week) now for well over a month. Sometimes it happens so often that by the time I get to the computer (I'm often working on my notebook rather than my iMac) it's on number 5 or 6 in the chain!

I too have a sneaking suspicion that it's something to do with the Time Capsule I'm using as a router. I can't think what else would be causing this problem. Any suggestions or fixes would be welcomed - I recently made the switch from Windows and I'm not savvy enough in the new OS innards yet to dig around and find the issue myself.

Nov 10, 2010 12:19 PM in response to chrissmithtopher

Hi, same here. It happens several times a week with my mac mini which I also mainly use as a media player/server (running Plex). Usually the hostname changes when the mac mini wakes up. I have a time capsule and airport express in bridge mode (WDS).

One piece of information I might add to this discussion, is that I actually see that the hostname is not 'released' in the network environment when the mini is being shutdown or put asleep: on my macbook, the hostname remains visible in the network overview of the finder. I have enabled file sharing and screen sharing on the mini and sometimes the macbook is connected while I shutdown the mini. When it comes back up, the hostname changes (righteously I suppose) to (n+1) and I can then see both in the network environment. After a couple of restarts (computers and network devices, I haven't been able to pinpoint a single faulty device), the old hostname is finally forgotten.

Is there some expert who can explain why the hostname does not disappear? Where is it retained?
Is there a way to force a 'hard refresh' of the network environment?

The problem is annoying, everyone here will agree. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nov 28, 2010 5:26 AM in response to brinkr

I just want to bump this thread up.
I'm having this exact problem and it's driving me completely nuts. All of my computers are set up to print through my tower via printer sharing. Every time the computer sees itself, and renames itself as a result, I either have to recreate the printer on the other computers or rename the tower to it's original hostname.

I haven't done extensive testing, but I have a feeling that this is happening when my computers (it happens to all of them) go to sleep on their own. If I put them to sleep, it doesn't seem to happen. I also have a feeling that it's Time Capsule/Airport causing this. I doesn't happen at my work where I'm using other network hardware, both with static IPs and with DHCP.
It's also happening to both my wireless & wired clients.

Hello, Apple? This is a huge, infuriating problem that's existed for some time now.

Nov 30, 2010 3:10 AM in response to recur

Same here: problem exists since some month now – my Hostname is already "iMac (150)" ...
It's very annoying when printing over the network ...
If i just delete the numbers of the Hostname, the problem returns after a few days.

I have no Time Capsule or Wireless-Network or any special device, just two computers (different machines with of course different, custom names), connected via Ethernet:

"myiMac(150)" <---> Fritzbox 2170 ADSL/Modem-Router <---> "Server(19)"

It seems "myiMac" (and "Server") sees, but does not recognize itself on the network?!

Is there any way to fix this problem?

Dec 1, 2010 5:26 AM in response to tfranz

tfranz,
if you're not using a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme, then there goes my theory. It must be something in the OS and how it deals with DHCP addressing. Since my last post, I turned sleeping off in energy saver, and I'm manually putting my computers to sleep. None of my machines have yet duplicated their hostnames.

Given this problem has existed for quite some time, it proves that Apple is too busy with iPhones & iPads to bother with old-fashioned OSX.

Dec 29, 2010 1:14 AM in response to tfranz

Don't blame Apple.

Hostnames are resolved via Multicast DNS Service aka Bonjour...

Sometimes, your computer will send out it's hostname and it will get cached on the network and your computer will get disconnected for one reason or another (such as going to sleep or losing it's wifi signal)... When the computer reconnects, since it didn't release the hostname properly - it will detect that the hostname is already in use and add a (#) to the end of the name to remain unique.

If you're experiencing this issue, the first thing that I would recommend is to prevent your computer from going to sleep at all. See if that fixes your duplicate host issue and report back to us please!

Hostname duplication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.