Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari "jumps" to top of page - how to stop?

Hi & thanks for any help you've got...
I am trying to solve a browser "problem" (could be a feature, I don't know). I've searched everywhere I can think of, and can't find any references to this.
When I have Safari open, it will erratically jump to the top of the screen & basically disappear. I can get it back by clicking on what little bit of it I can see, but it is a bit annoying. I figure there must be a setting to control this, but I can't find it.
I am using Safari 4.0.5. Thanks again.

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 13, 2010 9:35 AM

9 replies

May 13, 2010 10:18 AM in response to mouse@mac

HI and Welcome to Apple Discussions...

Your Safari preferences could be corrupted. Go to the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari/Preferences. Make note of all the preferences under each tab. Quit Safari. Now go to ~/Library/Preferences and move this file com.apple.safari.plist to the Desktop.

~ (Tilde) represents your Home Folder.

Relaunch Safari.

Carolyn 🙂

May 13, 2010 11:16 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

Thanks for the reply & suggestion. I went to ~/Library/Preferences under my name, moved the file, and re-started both Safari & the computer, but it did no good. Problem still exists. I expected the file to rebuild itself in the folder, but it didn't. There is currently no com.apple.safari.plist in that folder. So I'm wondering if I got the right file.
Now, under USERS, there is another Preferences folder, under APPLE user. I cannot open it. It says I do not have access privileges. Could the file I need be in there?

mouse

May 13, 2010 1:17 PM in response to mouse@mac

Ok.. you found the .plist file, good so it's not a preferences glitch. Process of elimination.

Try repairing disk permissions. Quit any open applications/programs. Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

Relaunch Safari. If the page still jumps, login to another user account (create one if necessary (System Preferences/Accounts) and see if the same thing happens with Safari.

Go here for trouble shooting 3rd party plugins or input managers which might be causing the problem. Safari: Add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit *or have performance issues*

And try Resetting the PRAM

Note. .plist files will not regenerate until after you launch the application it's associated with.

🙂

May 15, 2010 3:59 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Ok, so I got the chance to run through all of this. Sadly, no differences. The page still does its hiding thing in my account and in the other account, as well. Re-set the PRAM & it didn't help, either.
I do thank you for all your help with this. I was hoping it was a common thing or even just a setting, but I guess not.
If you, or anyone else, has any other ideas, I am all ears. 😉

mouse

May 15, 2010 5:39 PM in response to mouse@mac

mouse --
Welcome to Apple Discussions!
We're all other Mac users here, sharing solutions.

A couple questions for you:

1. What kind of mouse are you using?
2. Describe your mousepad: decorated, metallic, plain dark color.
3. This ONLY happens in Safari? No problems with Word, iTunes, email?
4. What are the settings for your Mouse in System Preferences?
5. In Universal Access (System Preferences) do you have Mouse Keys turned on?
6. Do you have "Hot Corners" turned on in Dashboard & Expose (Again System Preferences)

May 16, 2010 6:37 PM in response to TildeBee

Bee & Carolyn,

Thanks for all the help. The "problem" is solved & was a feature that we never used & apparently just started triggering. It is/was HotCorners. AFAIK, we never had it activated. I mean, we've had the computer for a couple of years and this never happened. But somehow it got turned on, and now that it is turned off the problem is solved.
Thanks again for the help!

mouse

Safari "jumps" to top of page - how to stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.