Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder thinks a burned DVD is blank

After I've created and burned a DVD with iDVDand then try to play it on my computer is does not play. The computer thinks it's blank and asks what to do. If I select "Open in Finder" it mounts and is titled "Untitled DVD". This may have started after the upgrade to 10.6.3.1.1.

These DVDs will play on other DVD players such my G4, a Dell and my TV DVD player.

Thanks for the help.

Mac Pro Early 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 13, 2010 10:57 AM

11 replies

May 13, 2010 12:57 PM in response to Mike Riordan

After futher checks, it appears as if my DVD drive is half broken. It can burn DVD/CDs. It can read and play commercial DVDs. It can read and play commercial Audio Disks. It can read and play a MP3 disk.

What it can not do is:
Play a burned DVD. It will not startup from a Mac OS 10.5/10.6 Install disk.

To see if the 10.5.3 upgrade caused the problem I tried to install 10.5 on a spare HD. It would read the disk and allow me to start the install, it would read the various install packages and write them to the targeted HD but when it came time to restart and install, it would restart from my main HD and not from the DVD. If I set the startup drive to the DVD it would default to the main drive.

I don't understand this!! It's like being a little bit Pregnant.

Thanks

May 13, 2010 1:03 PM in response to Mike Riordan

"...It will not startup from a Mac OS 10.5/10.6 Install disk..."

if it can't read the install disk (DVD) then you have a problem with either the disk or the optical drive. Has nothing to do with being a little bit pregnant. Take it to an Apple store or AASP and have them check out the optical drive.

May 13, 2010 1:41 PM in response to sig

It does read the install disk and writes all of the installation packages (198 items) out to the target disk. It just won't startup from it. It's not the disk itself. I tried both a Leopard and Snow Leopard install disk with the same results.

I agree that the problem maybe with the drive. However lugging the Mac Pro down to an Apple Store, paying to have it checked out and then paying $80+ for a new drive seems over kill. I'll just order a third party drive for $36 and replace it.

I just don't understand how a bad drive can do most of its function well and then fail on only two.

Thanks

Finder thinks a burned DVD is blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.