Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help getting started with netrestore in SIU

I've been using Bombich's NetRestore and NetRestore helper for a few years to make images that I then wrote onto the mini being deployed using target disk mode. I've got 17 new ones that I need to image, and a 10.6 server and thought I'd see if I could do "real" NetRestore and both build the new boxes and update deployed boxes remotely from 10.5 to 10.6 versions of my image (along with other updates to local code). I've tried every hint I can find, and nothing lets me build an image for NetRestore. The window always comes up with "No valid source volumes were found." inside System Image Utility. both the server and client are running 10.6.3. I can follow the process of manually adding a work flow, and it lets me point to the right volume, but then never actually makes files.

I've tried the following:
making an image with NetRestore Helper and moving it up to the server
mounting the Mac Mini in question on the server in target disk mode
making an image off the Mac Mini in target disk mode and mounting the disk image
running sudo fsck_hfs -fry/dev/<device> in target disk mode, and then making an image after that
running SIU on my local MacBookPro instead of the server against an image.

All with the same result of being told there is no valid volume.

I'm not interesting in using some other product, unless it can image from a mounted volume or disk image, these are custom built monitoring stations with a lot of non-packaged installs that I don't have any desire to package.

I've used the image made with NetRestore Helper to build a mini using target disk mode, and it works just fine, so I know that the image is good.

Also, while I'm asking, two things I haven't been able to find

1) what's the format for files used in the post-process setting of the machine name (and can it also set IP info)?

2) if I tell it to use the existing host prefs for the already imaged machines, will it keep the name info and IP address?

many of these systems are deployed out onto other people's networks and need to go out with the fixed addresses they give us, so DHCP is not always an option.

If there is docs out there that I've missed that happen to have all of this handy info, a pointer would be appreciated. My Google-foo skilz have not been up to the task of finding what I'm doing wrong.

thanks,
-debbie

Mac Mini Server, Mac mini workstations., Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 13, 2010 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2010 3:01 PM

Hi Debbie,

"both the server and client are running 10.6.3"

Double check the Mac OS X versions are what you think they are and that your copy of SIU is current. The "no valid volumes" message is often a symptom of trying to use 10.6 SIU to image a 10.5 volume. Sadly, Apple has chosen not to allow that.

If your versions are all OK then I suggest experimenting to see what what volumes your SIU does like. Can it see a 10.6 installation DVD?

The format of the naming file is mentioned in this discussion:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2258855&tstart=0

However, as far as I know, the naming feature of SIU is still broken in 10.6.3.

We adapted and customized a Bombich shell script to work around the current lack of support for naming and binding.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2010 3:01 PM in response to Debbie Fligor

Hi Debbie,

"both the server and client are running 10.6.3"

Double check the Mac OS X versions are what you think they are and that your copy of SIU is current. The "no valid volumes" message is often a symptom of trying to use 10.6 SIU to image a 10.5 volume. Sadly, Apple has chosen not to allow that.

If your versions are all OK then I suggest experimenting to see what what volumes your SIU does like. Can it see a 10.6 installation DVD?

We adapted and customized a Bombich shell script to work around the current lack of support for naming and binding.

May 14, 2010 7:13 AM in response to Debbie Fligor

well, "about this Mac" says "Mac OS X Server Version 10.6.3" "about System Image Utility" (on the server says "System Image Utility 2 Version 10.6.3 (442)". I know I used get-info to check the copy on my notebook was 10.6.3 before I tried it since I did see a bunch of notes about 10.6.0-10.6.2 not working right.

The client is at the moment still target disk mounted, but I think you might be right about the client being 10.5.8. I had forgotten that I'd made an new image of an upgraded to 10.6 mini, but then had someone make more changes to the "master" before I could re-image it. I'll pull that when I get to work and boot it directly and check. thanks for the help, I'll post back if that was the problem.

-debbie

May 14, 2010 9:09 AM in response to Debbie Fligor

Piperspace pointed you to the information here:
piperspace wrote:

Specifically this entry:
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10723611#10723611

piperspace wrote:

This should have been fixed in 10.6.3.

There is currently no way to set IP addresses using SIU.

help getting started with netrestore in SIU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.