Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web pages not displaying properly

Hi. 2 weeks ago I bought my first iMac, after previously always using a PC. It takes a little getting used to, and I am still using the PC until I become fully accustomed to the iMac.
But I have a problem with the safari web browser, where some pages are not displaying properly. To be precise, on some web pages, I have some lines overlapping each other, so that the font of one line is on top of the next line. To be honest I don't think it is a browser problem, because if I view the same page on my PC using Safari, it displays OK. I haven't tried a different web browser, and don't really want to. My screen resolution is set as 1920 x 1080, it was already set at this, but I have tried other sizes. I have also tried un ticking the box "Never use font sizes smaller than" in the advanced preferences.
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

iMac

Posted on May 13, 2010 12:01 PM

11 replies

May 13, 2010 1:09 PM in response to the2ems

Hi and welcome to Apple Discussions,

From the Safari Menu Bar click Safari/Preferences then select the Appearance tab.

Click the pop up menu at the bottom of that pane where you see "Default encoding"

Select: Western (ISO Latin 1)

Relaunch Safari.

See if that helps. If not, reply and we'll keep trying.

If you have installed any 3rd party fonts, that could be causing the glitch. Try logging in to another user account, launch Safari and see if the problem persists there.

Carolyn 🙂

May 13, 2010 3:04 PM in response to the2ems

the2ems --
Carolyn's on the right track.
Open up your Font Book application, located in your main Applications folder.
Double click on Font Book, and then select "All Fonts" in the top of the pane.
If you're on Snow Leopard, you will get obviously alerts for duplicate or corrupted fonts.
And the application will make it easy to address them.

If you on an older OS, the duplicates will have tiny dots next to the name of the font.
Select the font, go up to "Edit" and then choose "Resolve Duplicates."

Adding on any app or peripheral will also add fonts, and some duplication is to be expected.

May 14, 2010 12:01 AM in response to TildeBee

Hi again, and thanks for the replies.
I have now accessed the fonts book folder and found about 12 duplicated fonts. These were highlighted with little yellow triangles. For each one I selected then went to "edit" "resolve duplicates" and the triangle disappeared. So I presume the duplications are fixed. Unfortunately this has not solved the problem.

Web pages not displaying properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.