Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Dock quirk - No car charger and audio jack at same time

Hey guys....here's the scenario.

iPad dock plugged into wall charger and external audio jack, no problem.

iPad dock plugged into 2amp car charger by itself, no problem.

iPad dock plugged into external audio jack by itself, no problem.

iPad dock plugged into 2amp car charger AND audio jack - PROBLEM!

The iPad will continue to charge but will not output sound from the audio jack. It will simply play music through it's internal speakers.

I placed my iPhone into the iPad dock and it has the same results, no audio through the external output. However if I swap the dock with Apple's universal dock, the iPhone charges AND outputs audio.

I'm just curious why the iPad dock would disable the audio output once you plug into the car charger that is rated to work for the iPad??

iPad - Wifi - 16GB, Other OS, Apple iPad Dock and Belkin PowerBolt Micro Car Charger

Posted on May 13, 2010 12:34 PM

6 replies

May 13, 2010 2:15 PM in response to Doug Eldred

Most iPhone iPod car chargers are actually 1 amp which is why I bought the recommended Kensington powerbolt which is adequate for iPad.

You can see it here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1061LL/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjA&mco=MTc0NzA4NDE
It is still a 5v charger.

Yes everything works fine if I plug the audio cable into the headphone jack in the top of the iPad, but it's defeating the purpose for what I'm trying to do....a clean install for a car that will interchange between iPhone and ipad. As you can see the dock is working great in every other scenario except car charger and audio output from dock at the same time, which is what the dock is designed to do, albeit designed to do it plugged into a wall socket.

iPad Dock quirk - No car charger and audio jack at same time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.