Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share Time Capsule's Disk Space Equally Between Computers?

At home we have 2 iMac's that both backup, using Time Machine, to a single 1TB Time Capsule.

The problem is that one computer is using over 800GB of storage, leaving less than 200GB for the other Mac, so it can't backup more than a few days...

Is there a way stop one iMac hogging all the space and split it 50/50? (I would rather not partition the Time Capsule as many people have had problems that way)

All comments welcome

Thanks.

27" iMac + iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 3 GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD

Posted on May 14, 2010 9:33 AM

3 replies

May 14, 2010 3:48 PM in response to Hazza42

Hazza42 wrote:
At home we have 2 iMac's that both backup, using Time Machine, to a single 1TB Time Capsule.

The problem is that one computer is using over 800GB of storage, leaving less than 200GB for the other Mac, so it can't backup more than a few days...

Is there a way stop one iMac hogging all the space and split it 50/50?

In a word, no. 😟

You have two options, neither very attractive:

• Connect a USB drive to the TC and back one of your Macs up to it. See #Q2 in the Using TIME MACHINE with a TIME CAPSULE *User Tip,* also at the top of this forum.
  • Manually delete a number of old backups from the Mac that's "hogging" the space. Use the procedure in #12 of the Frequently Asked Questions *User Tip,* also at the top of the +Time Machine+ forum.

May 14, 2010 4:01 PM in response to Pondini

Oh well... Thanks for the quick reply. In fact soon after I posted this I found out why one iMac was hoggong all the space, I had it backing up over 120GB of recorded TV shows from eyetv that went as far back as November 09! I deleted them and the balance is much more even now
(I do have a spare HD lying around that I used to use or media storage, I might try plugging it into the back of one of the macs and backup straight to that. It looks pretty ugly compared to the TC though...

Share Time Capsule's Disk Space Equally Between Computers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.