Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCHAT Security question - can you help me find the thief of my macbook?

Hi there,
My macbook got stolen last week when someone broke into my home.
Tonight on my new machine, I received a message from aolsystemmsg saying that "You (gwendykrijger@gmail.com) are now signed into AOL(R) Instant Messenger (TM) in 2 locations. To sign off the other location(s), reply to this message with the number 1. Click here for more information."

I did not reply as my URGENT question to this forum is whether I can find out the IP address somehow of the stolen machine because the thief is ONLINE at the moment and does not know that its logged into iChat??

Any ideas?

Gwendy

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 14, 2010 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2010 1:33 PM

Hi,

It seems a bit odd that you have registered a GoogleMail ID as a AIM name.

You could do this if you have Little Snitch Installed.

It asks each time an App connects to somewhere for you permission and lists the IP and ports used.

You would need a second Screen Name and send your regular name an Video or Audio Invite.
You can proceed as far as you want in the connection process and you can click Deny which will cause the connection to fail once you see the Little Snitch info you want.

You could also try using the second Second Screen name and pull the Ethernet cable or turn off the Airport card once connected and iChat will give you a !0 Sec Error message and then in the Video menu the Connection Doctor > Errors tab will list any IPs and Ports it was expecting to use.

I would go straight for changing the password if I were you and stop them logging in.

User uploaded file

9:33 PM Friday; May 14, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2010 1:33 PM in response to Gwendy

Hi,

It seems a bit odd that you have registered a GoogleMail ID as a AIM name.

You could do this if you have Little Snitch Installed.

It asks each time an App connects to somewhere for you permission and lists the IP and ports used.

You would need a second Screen Name and send your regular name an Video or Audio Invite.
You can proceed as far as you want in the connection process and you can click Deny which will cause the connection to fail once you see the Little Snitch info you want.

You could also try using the second Second Screen name and pull the Ethernet cable or turn off the Airport card once connected and iChat will give you a !0 Sec Error message and then in the Video menu the Connection Doctor > Errors tab will list any IPs and Ports it was expecting to use.

I would go straight for changing the password if I were you and stop them logging in.

User uploaded file

9:33 PM Friday; May 14, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

iCHAT Security question - can you help me find the thief of my macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.