Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touchpad trouble

Got my new white macbook last month, been working great since. But as of late the touchpad and cursor have been freezing and nothing will respond to my touchpad, nothing will close, move and sometimes when i move the cursor to the bottom it doesn't even bring up my dock (its always hidden) and I can't move a file on the desktop etc.

Is this a common fault with the new white macbook?

new white Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 14, 2010 1:23 PM

4 replies

May 14, 2010 2:19 PM in response to msclaxton

Hi msclaxton and welcome to Apple Discussions!

No, this is not a common issue. Let's see if we can figure out what to do about it.

When did this first begin occurring? Did you make any changes to the system (added hardware or new software) at about that time?

Is this only with the trackpad or does it occur when using a mouse as well?

Let us know, we will keep helping.

Best of luck.

May 16, 2010 12:11 PM in response to msclaxton

Thank you. It first occurred a few days ago, I did have iMovie, iTunes and Safari open at the same time but I always thought my new mac would support this demand. But eventually it froze, I was able to quit the applications using command & Q. But the mouse would not do anything, I couldn't click on anything or select a file on the desktop using the cursor. I restarted and everything was fine, then again on the evening it did it again which is where I thought I need to seek advice. Since then it has only happened once more making it 3 times.

I've even ran a virus check and found nothing wrong.

I've installed no new hardware or software over the past week. The last app I installed was Adobe Premiere CS4 last weekend.

I've not had it occur using my Magic mouse. I've only used my mac for about an hour today and so far no problem.

Nov 5, 2016 11:21 AM in response to msclaxton

The same thing happens with my MacBook. It doesn't freeze for more than 2 seconds, but it freezes too. I've done some searching and it seems to be happening to some other people too.
Some say it is a problem with the pressure on the touchpad, some say it is a software issue.
I haven't found a solution to my problem yet.
I'll get my machine to an Apple Store as soon as I can.

Jun 29, 2010 10:14 PM in response to msclaxton

I have been having a similar issue. Got my new MacBook in May, and the last few weeks have had touchpad acting possessed or just stop working altogether. Cursor will even flutter and move on its own. Restarting and doing the PR thing resets and often clears it up, but not always.

Now tonight the thing is randomly turning off. The front light seems to be dimming and brightening, but the screen is black and nothing is happening. I hold the power button down to turn it off, then power up, but keeps doing it.

Making it worse is the fact that the nearest Apple store is over 300 miles away!!!!

touchpad trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.