Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Left shift key inserts ± (plus/minus symbol)

When I try to use the left shift key and hold it down for more than a half-second or so it will insert the ± symbol. Not being the speediest of typists, this has rendered the key useless (besides being a shortcut for that symbol, of course). This occurs in all profiles.

I am using a Macally ICEKey keyboard with the latest drivers. The behavior occurs when I set the keyboard to the "unknown generic keyboard" option, as well. I tried uninstalling the drivers and trashing the com.apple.keyboardtype.plist file, but the problem continued to occur after it went through the generic keyboard setup on reboot. I should also mention that the keyboard worked fine for a few months before this problem arose.

The only other USB keyboard I have is a generic Dell keyboard (that does work with a Windows box), but when I plugged it in after removing the Macally it was not recognized by my Mac, even after reboot.

Besides trying another keyboard that is confirmed to work with Snow Leopard, are there any settings I should change (the language and character settings are default English with an ANSI keyboard layout) or other diagnostics I could try?

Thanks,

Sam

Mac Mini (late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 16, 2010 3:39 PM

1 reply

May 16, 2010 4:01 PM in response to ilnoca

I have a Macally keyboard (NetKey) and I know that Macally hasn't issued drivers or updates for Intel Macs for some time; I checked on their download page for your model and the latest driver is for "10.4 or above" (which means it's been there for quite a while), which may also mean that it may or may not work with Snow Leopard. I know the driver for mine does not work on SL and I've lost all the cool functions on it (media keys, etc), but I still like the keyboard. My iMac also recognizes the keyboard immediately without any drivers installed.

As for your question, have you looked in the Keyboard pane of System Preferences to see if for some reason that key has been assigned a special function?

And, as far as I know, just about any keyboard - especially USB - should work with SL as long as you don't plan to install any drivers that happen to be for Windows only for any special function keys or features. I don't know why the Dell wouldn't be recognized unless it is made to function only after some software (driver) install (which wouldn't be compatible with SL).

Left shift key inserts ± (plus/minus symbol)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.