Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

having problems getting Migration Assistant to restore only parts of system

I needed to reload my Intel mini running Snow Leopard. I've been using a 1TB Time Capsule to backup my system for quite a while. I haven't had much of any trouble with restores if I need them, until I wanted to restore only parts of a backup. I can't seem to get Time Capsule/Time Machine to do what I want.

I run two backups (Time Machine via the 1TB Time Capsule and CrashPlan). I thought with the two backups, I should be covered. I didn't want to restore the machine completely back to the way it was since the system wasn't completely working correctly (which is why I was reloading it).

Anyway, I get the machine restored and that's when I realize that Time Machine can't just "attach" to a backup and let me pick and choose what to restore. I have to use "Migration Assistant". I'm finding out that there's a lot of things Migration Assistant does that I don't want.

1) There is no way to pick and choose which applications you want restored. There is just one check box for "Applications". It looks like it restores all of them.

2) There is another category called "All other files and folders" and "Other files and folders on "Disk Name" ("machine name"). I have no idea what that's going to restore.

3) There is a category marked "Settings" that has (Time Zone, Machine, Network), but there doesn't appear to be any description of what those do. Time Zone and Network are pretty self explanatory, but Machine? Wonder what Machine restores?

I would really like to use Time Capsule/Time Machine to restore (since it's a local disk). I know I can restore the files using CrashPlan, but it would take a lot longer since it would have to download it over the internet (although I probably could have had it restored by now). 😉

Anyone else know of ways around this problem or is this just a "feature" of Time Capsule/Time Machine?

Intel apple mini, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 16, 2010 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2010 8:19 PM

Try the Snow Leopard forums. These are for Leopard.
6 replies

May 16, 2010 8:41 PM in response to kae

kae wrote:
. . .
Anyway, I get the machine restored and that's when I realize that Time Machine can't just "attach" to a backup and let me pick and choose what to restore.

Sure, you can, just not with Migration Assistant. Use the "Star Wars" display. Click the TM icon in your Dock to +Enter Time Machine.+ There's a demo here: Time Machine Tutorial

You should be able to "pick and choose" whatever you want.

1) There is no way to pick and choose which applications you want restored. There is just one check box for "Applications". It looks like it restores all of them.

Correct. You can restore individual apps via the "Star Wars" display, but that may be a problem. Simple apps, that you just loaded or downloaded into your Applications folder should be fine, but complex apps that come with special installers often put other things in various other places, too. If you don't know what and where all such items are, the app won't work properly, if at all. Your only option in such cases is to reinstall from the original discs.

And I'll ask a Host to move this to the +Snow Leopard > Time Machine+ forum.

May 17, 2010 10:32 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks for getting this moved to the right place. I didn't notice that I was in the wrong leg of the forum.

I wasn't clear in my description. I've used the "star wars" restore quite often (well, not that often. It's not like I delete files all the time, but I have used it and it works great)!

In this instance, I have done a fresh install of Snow Leopard on a mac that used to be backed up with Time Machine. I didn't want to restore everything just parts of the backup. The Migration Assistant app doesn't allow me to pick and choose in some of the folders that I want files from (like some files in /Library/Scripts and a few of the simple applications in the /Applications folder)

My question is: Can I "attach" Time Machine to a sparce bundle backup and use the "star wars" restore to pick and choose files from that Time Capsule backup?

Or putting it another way: How to I get my fresh Snow Leopard Time Machine to point to a particular Time Machine backup so that I can use the "star wars" restore to pick and choose files that I want to restore?

I hope that is a little clearer.

May 17, 2010 10:43 AM in response to kae

kae wrote:
. . .
Thanks for getting this moved to the right place. I didn't notice that I was in the wrong leg of the forum.

Not a problem. In some cases there are differences between Leopard and Snow Leopard, which can really confuse folks looking in previous threads for answers!

In this instance, I have done a fresh install of Snow Leopard on a mac that used to be backed up with Time Machine. I didn't want to restore everything just parts of the backup. The Migration Assistant app doesn't allow me to pick and choose in some of the folders that I want files from (like some files in /Library/Scripts and a few of the simple applications in the /Applications folder)

My question is: Can I "attach" Time Machine to a sparce bundle backup and use the "star wars" restore to pick and choose files from that Time Capsule backup?

Ah, you want backups from a different Mac?

If it's the same Mac's backups, you should see them via the normal +Enter Time Machine+ option.

If they're backups for a different Mac, you need the (badly named) +*Browse Other Time Machine Disks+* option: Option+click the TM icon in your Menubar, or right-click the TM icon in your Dock. (You may have to manually mount the sparse bundle first, via the Finder, to get it to show up in the window of backups to choose from.)

having problems getting Migration Assistant to restore only parts of system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.