Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound only out of right speaker

Hello there,

My ipod recently started having an issue with sound only coming out of the right speaker in every headphone/speaker that I plugged it into unless it was totally vertical, or if the input wire to the headphone port was torqued to one side. I'm pretty sure that I need a new headphone jack but was wanting to make sure and get any ideas on replacing it myself/going to a store, and any idea of how much either route would likely cost!

Thanks,
-John

 Book pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Dou, Mac OS X (10.6.3),  Ipod 30gb 5th Edition, My Book Home 500gb external

Posted on May 17, 2010 12:15 PM

5 replies

Sep 9, 2010 2:57 PM in response to john_powers

i have the same problem with mine. this site below should help if one feels comfortable enough opening the ipod to replace the headphone jack, just click the Headphone Jack & Hold Switch link. the relevant parts are listed and can be bought. the headphone jack/hold switch is 30 bucks, the opening tools a few more. i havent checked with an apple store how much it would cost for them to fix, but this is an option i might have to try.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/iPod5th_Generation%28Video%29

Sep 9, 2010 4:46 PM in response to john_powers

here is a decent thread i found elsewhere. the last post on it. not exactly what was wrong with mine. but i opened mine up and the problem stemmed from the headphone jack area itself. i just wiggled it around until the sound worked in both ears and rigged it with a small piece of cardboard to keep it pushed down, put it back together and its luckily working right now. probably wont last long but who knows. im broke its my only option right now lol. good luck.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-electronics/ipod-only-plays-sound-one-side-ear phones-124910.html

Sound only out of right speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.