Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I Get My Router to Work With iChat ? FAQ 2

Replaces iCh: FAQ 2 How to get my router to work with iChat?

Getting your router started with iChat.

Appropriate for using iChatAV 2 upwards

Glossary for this FAQ
Routers: Any configurable device that sits between your computer and the internet link you have.

Routers seem to fall into two categories

Those that work straight from the box. See Apple Doc 93333
NOTE
This Doc has not been updated since Jan 04

and those that do not.

This post will deal with what you may need to look at.

First off make sure your device is acting as a DHCP server. (if you are already on the internet you may not have to bother with this.)
Check in the Network Preference Pane, in the "Built in Ethernet" option from the "Show" drop down list.
Make sure the TCP/IP tab is the 'front' one. You should be able to see Configure IPv4 and it most likely reads Using DCHP. Make a note of your IP address. It will start 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 192.168.xxx.xxx (the 'x' s will stand for any number between 1 and 255).

Your router is most likely to be configurable from your browser. You will need to find the IP address to type into the browser from any Readme or PDF files that came on the install disk or visit the makers website and download a manual.

DMZ Demilitarised Zone
This is a less secure setting that basically opens all ports and points the incoming data to your computer. (not helpful if you have more than one computer on your LAN)

NAT Sometimes called NAPT and related to Port Forwarding (also Virtual Server or Pin Holes)
These settings are usually found in an Advanced setting.
You will need to set an incoming IP address (Usually 0.0.0.0 for any outside server), a port that data will arrive on, the Inside computers IP address (your computer) and the port it will deal with the data on and the protocol it will use.
iChat uses TCP and UDP so some devices will need the settings done twice, once for each protocol.
See Apple Doc 93208 for more information.
Note:
Note 1 should read:
1. All iChat AV traffic is UDP except for ports 5190 and 5298, which need to be open for both TCP and UDP; and 5220, 5222, which need to be open for TCP only.

UPnP Universal Plug n Play.
This is a simple Plug and Play type of setting. iChat can find it's own way through a router if the device has this capability.

Trigger Ports
Some devices offer a security measure that works by a first or trigger port receiving a data packet and then opening further ports when accepted.

The first port for incoming Video or Audio invites is port 5678. When you click on the invite window the process moves to port 5060 (so these will need to be opened by the trigger port) for negotiating the final group of ports from the group of 20 (16384-16403 These will need to open when the trigger says so as well). Therefore port 5678 triggers ports 5678, 5060, 16384-16403. All on UDP. Port 5190 neeeds to trigger port 5190 for both TCP and UDP

Wireless
Here you will have to read around but this Apple Doc 58514 might be a good starting place.

Multiple devices
Make sure only one is acting as a DHCP server. Make sure wireless devices are bridged properly.

Further Help

I have found that this site (ADSLGuide) to be helpful.
It is British based but I have linked you to the Apple Related Discussions Forum.

Eliminating Problems on my Personal web pages.
The ports and their function within iChat. (my pesonal Web pages again)

This is not a step by step approach. You will have to read around the information about your device.

Collected FAQs and Expansions: Index Page

Also http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm for instructions with Pics on Port Forwarding.

Ralph User uploaded file

G4 Dual 1Ghz MDD with extra HDs X3. Mac OS X (10.4.3) Have you read the iChat FAQs ?? They have moved to Users Tips

G4 Dual 1Ghz MDD with extra HDs X3., Mac OS X (10.4.3), Have you read the iChat FAQs ?? They have moved to Users Tips

Posted on Nov 23, 2005 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2005 6:34 AM

Ralph,

Make a note of your IP address. It will start 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 192.168.xxx.xxx (the 'x' s will stand for any number between 1 and 255).

The range 172.16.xxx.xxx is also a possible value at this point. Rarely used, but it is part of the RFC for Address Allocation for Private Internets.
4 replies

Dec 24, 2005 12:47 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Replaces iCh: FAQ 2 How to get my router to work with iChat?

Getting your router started with iChat.

Appropriate for using iChatAV 2 upwards

Glossary for this FAQ
Routers: Any configurable device that sits between your computer and the internet link you have.

Routers seem to fall into two categories

Those that work straight from the box. See Apple Doc 93333
NOTE :This Doc has not been updated since Jan 04
and those that do not.

This post will deal with what you may need to look at.

First off make sure your device is acting as a DHCP server. (if you are already on the internet you may not have to bother with this.)
Check in the Network Preference Pane, in the "Built in Ethernet" option from the "Show" drop down list.
Make sure the TCP/IP tab is the 'front' one. You should be able to see Configure IPv4 and it most likely reads Using DCHP. Make a note of your IP address. It will start 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 192.168.xxx.xxx (the 'x' s will stand for any number between 1 and 255). The range 172.16.xxx.xxx is also a possible value at this point. Rarely used, but it is part of the RFC for Address Allocation for Private Internets.

Your router is most likely to be configurable from your browser. You will need to find the IP address to type into the browser from any Readme or PDF files that came on the install disk or visit the makers website and download a manual.

DMZ Demilitarised Zone
This is a less secure setting that basically opens all ports and points the incoming data to your computer. (not helpful if you have more than one computer on your LAN)

NAT Sometimes called NAPT and related to Port Forwarding (also Virtual Server or Pin Holes)
These settings are usually found in an Advanced setting.
You will need to set an incoming IP address (Usually 0.0.0.0 for any outside server), a port that data will arrive on, the Inside computers IP address (your computer) and the port it will deal with the data on and the protocol it will use.
iChat uses TCP and UDP so some devices will need the settings done twice, once for each protocol.
See Apple Doc 93208 for more information.
Note:
Note 1 should read:
1. All iChat AV traffic is UDP except for ports 5190 and 5298, which need to be open for both TCP and UDP; and 5220, 5222, which need to be open for TCP only.

UPnP Universal Plug n Play.
This is a simple Plug and Play type of setting. iChat can find it's own way through a router if the device has this capability.

Trigger Ports
Some devices offer a security measure that works by a first or trigger port receiving a data packet and then opening further ports when accepted.

The first port for incoming Video or Audio invites is port 5678. When you click on the invite window the process moves to port 5060 (so these will need to be opened by the trigger port) for negotiating the final group of ports from the group of 20 (16384-16403 These will need to open when the trigger says so as well). Therefore port 5678 triggers ports 5678, 5060, 16384-16403. All on UDP. Port 5190 neeeds to trigger port 5190 for both TCP and UDP

Wireless
Here you will have to read around but this Apple Doc 58514 might be a good starting place.

Multiple devices
Make sure only one is acting as a DHCP server. Make sure wireless devices are bridged properly.

Further Help

I have found that this site (ADSLGuide) to be helpful.
It is British based but I have linked you to the Apple Related Discussions Forum.

Eliminating Problems on my Personal web pages.
The ports and their function within iChat. (my pesonal Web pages again)

This is not a step by step approach. You will have to read around the information about your device.

Collected FAQs and Expansions: Index Page

Also http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm for instructions with Pics on Port Forwarding.

With thanks to Macmuse.

Ralph User uploaded file

G4 Dual 1Ghz MDD with extra HDs X3. Mac OS X (10.4.3) Have you read the iChat FAQs ?? They have moved to Users Tips<</a>/span>

How do I Get My Router to Work With iChat ? FAQ 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.