Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Mac ( CRAP )

Hey I don't know about any of you, but stay away from this junk. I had the biggest nightmare and I am still working with both Data Rescue, Mac Disc Utility and Drive Genius 2 all in the hopes of being able to get my computer back to normal.

I ran the basic quick virus scan offered. It locked up my computer. I had to force restart it, clear my PRAM and thereafter not be able to even get back into that boot drive. So I had to use another one of my boots to help clean up the files at which point it still wasn't working.

I wasted a great chunk of my evening and I usually never have problems with Apple. Anybody else have issues with the "Subject" line product I have mentioned?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), G874401W085

Posted on May 18, 2010 1:01 AM

6 replies

Aug 8, 2010 5:27 AM in response to drummerdan

Re ESET NOD32 AntiVirus for Mac

Well, I did install and run the scan without nothing showing as a problem. However, when I wanted to remove the app after reading some comments here and despite their suggestion just to do Force Quit, I decided not to follow their recommendation as I don't know where they would take me. For example, when I wanted to simply trash it, it could not be done, so I was not confident to follow their advice and open ESET .dmg file and start Uninstal.

The best advice I found is on this forum: go to System Prefs/Accounts, find apps that load automatically, and delete the ESET file from there (the icon was on the white bar line on my desktop). Then you can trash the app straight from 'Application Folder' as well as their quarantine folder in System Library/Application Support/ESET.

Aug 8, 2010 6:03 AM in response to Bob Bujic

And what works on Windows doesn't seem to carry over very well, ie, even Intego has trouble and causes a performance hit.

With Norton, maybe the best advice is to check out their own Community Forum, keep it away from normal production or system for daily use, and set it up on a TEST CLONE. If OS X could be test run in a VM that would be dandy, but can't, where all changes are discarded when shutdown.

ESET NOD32 forum any help?
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Snow Leopard compatible? I noticed OP said they used Drive Genius 2, and I am pretty sure you need to upgrade to DG3 to be safe, same as every OS update where Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro had to be updated. (There is Data Rescue 3 as well.)

People often say that they don't see the need for uninstallers and that is a PLUS over Windows. I kind of like having a central location and means to uninstall scripts trigger from a Programs control panel.

Another way to "uninstall" is to rollback to prior to point in time. There aren't any such "Sandbox" tools though where you can setup and then test and when done, tell the system to undo everything.

Aug 8, 2010 6:28 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks The hater,

Here is my beef. When I downloaded NOD32 dmg file and opened it, there was an 'Uninstall' icon, but after the installation, there was no folder or 'package' with Read-me or Uninstall—only the app.

It must be me, but I get cold feet when I see these omissions. AntiVirus on Windows is a headache issue where fake sites are lurking to mess with the system (it happened to me with ESET as well). Serious software developers/companies should pay attention to that and do all possible to protect the user.

Aug 8, 2010 7:52 AM in response to Bob Bujic

Windows 7 and just MSSE is all most anyone should need unless they download untrusted files or torrents.

So you just need the DMG and maybe copy the contents and the uninstaller. I have a huge folder/sub folders for all the packages, installers, and rather than keep them on DMG I copy them off and have both.

TechTool Pro also has some stealth tricks. Application package script, hidden into places and added to launchd I suppose. I actually wanted to learn and compare Vista 4 yrs ago and now I know better what I like.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Mac ( CRAP )

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.