Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant burn my first DVD

New to Apple, using a new Powerbook G4 with IDVD5

made a 10 minute slideshow with music on Imovie and burned it to DVD using IDVD....tried to play it in DVD player and on the apple and I get the message

"supported disc not avaliable"

I burned it on a Fuji DVD-RW, seemed to work, chose the region (1) and this is all I get

thanks for any help

noobie.

powerbookG4, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Nov 23, 2005 10:14 AM

8 replies

Nov 23, 2005 12:53 PM in response to bandamy

made a 10 minute slideshow with music on Imovie and
burned it to DVD using IDVD....tried to play it in
DVD player and on the apple and I get the message

"supported disc not avaliable"

I burned it on a Fuji DVD-RW, seemed to work, chose
the region (1) and this is all I get

I'm not sure where you got/saw the Region info - discs created by iDVD are 'region free'. (Edit: You said you had a new Powerbook - was this the first time you ran the DVD Player application? That may be the reason you had to select a region. But again, iDVD created discs are 'region free'.)

Since you are using iDVD 5, why not create a disk image first and see how that plays in Apple's DVD Player application. If that plays OK we can give you the easy instructions to use Apple's Disk Utility to burn the image to a DVD in the correct way to make it play in a DVD player.

Nov 23, 2005 2:33 PM in response to bandamy

OK, Im looking at the burned DVD and the files are
.BUP, .IFO, and .FOB

is this right?

Yes. The VIDEO_TS folder should contain those files. The AUDIO_TS folder will be empty.

You should be able to open Apple's DVD Player application in your Applications folder and play that VIDEO_TS folder. Give it a try.

If it works, (and was a disk image .img file) you can burn the disk image file to a DVD with Disk Utility. (There are several versions around, but this should work for you.) http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1884.html Burning a disk image on a CD or DVD

Or see also http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93006 Burning a disk image file on a CD or DVD in Mac OS X

Nov 23, 2005 3:37 PM in response to F Shippey

THANKS

I made a disk image from the CD in Disk Utility - put it on the desktop - then burned it to a DVD using utility and it played fine in our DVD player.

I guess this is the standard way of making DVDs after using Imovie to create a project? If Im going about it the long way pls advise...

again thanks for the help this is a great resource.

Nov 23, 2005 3:42 PM in response to bandamy

guess this is the standard way of making DVDs after using Imovie to create a project?

Well I think most people skip the image route, but you'll find most of the "regular" iDVD users making a disk image before burning. I always do! That way you can "test drive" the image with the Apple DVD player, and burn separately. It may seem like adding a step, but sometimes two small steps are easier than one giant leap. Especially if something ever goes awry....

John B.

G5dual2GHz, 550TiBook, 9600>G3Upgraded Mac OS X (10.4.2) 1TB+ Storage

Nov 23, 2005 3:48 PM in response to bandamy

I guess this is the standard way of making DVDs after
using Imovie to create a project? If Im going about
it the long way pls advise...

again thanks for the help this is a great resource.

Actually, you can make a disk image right out of iDVD 5 as I mentioned in my first message to you. Instead of 'burning' to a DVD you 'burn' a disk image of that DVD first, verify the disk image plays the way you want it to with the DVD Player application, and then, use Disk Utility to burn that disk image to a writable DVD.

Creating the disk image first is an extra step, and takes a little long to produce the finished DVD, but I certainly think the extra step is worth it.

Glad to have been of help.

Cant burn my first DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.