Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, I'm a PC, but i think I'm supposed to be a MAC.....help.....advice....

Ok, this is me, home built PC, its cool, and a HP(super heavy) laptop, cool too...but i think there is a MAC inside of me....

what i want to know is if there is a place i can live chat with an apple genius, or someone who can answer all my questions with the switch over...or even if i should switch.... now i understand that an apple employee,of course, will be pro-apple, but i want an honest opinion, not just a fanboy....and suggestions??

thanks!

??, Windows XP Pro

Posted on May 18, 2010 10:12 AM

5 replies

May 18, 2010 12:44 PM in response to rxdude94

The notion there are "fanboys" is really demeaning for many, because it suggests we think about nothing but our Macs. There are many places you can speak to an Apple Genius on http://www.apple.com/buy/
Apple has a pretty thorough guide on switching between PCs and Macs on their own website:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Many of us people posting to Apple Discussions use more than one platform. Yes, some of us will swear by our Mac, but that's not the question. You asked for an honest opinion. This is a board for troubleshooting Macs more than a board to hear the rants and the praises, which have little to do with troubleshooting the Mac in question. If you have looked at the terms of use, you'll see it just is a user to user board which is moderated. What do you need to know about Macs that you don't know already?

May 18, 2010 2:07 PM in response to rxdude94

First, no direspect intended, if I offended anyone, I'm sorry...I know very little of macs... I've used only a PC for 10+ years. I have mac friends, who I've talked to about this. I have PC friends whose only reply is "why?!". I need to know things like how much power I need to do certain applications...Just stuff like that...

I don't want to ask a mac user if they like them, ask why they like them and get "cuz they're awesome", just like I don't want a pc user to say I shouldn't switch "cuz they suck"....

Thanks for the info though....

May 19, 2010 8:14 AM in response to rxdude94

maybe i need to give more info....primarily i use my computer for the basics, web-surfing, photo editing, music... i am getting more into photography and i want a machine that will run photoshop and be able to handle it....i will be doing more advanced photo editing....

i really like the Mac Mini's small size, but i was told by a mac user to go big or go home, but if the mac mini will handle all of my needs, i dont want to get more machine than i need, i would rather get a mini, and upgrade the RAM instead of getting an iMac, just because.
PC users tell me that i can get a PC for a lot cheaper and it will be as good as a MAC, but im starting to not believe that...

on an unrelated note, i will prolly be getting a new laptop, and im thinking now is the time to switch over....

thanks--

May 19, 2010 10:03 AM in response to rxdude94

For basic photo editing with Photoshop, the Mini is usually more than sufficient.

As for the cheapness of the PC, you get what you pay for. Generally speaking virus protection and spyware are a much larger concern for PCs than for Macs.

Apple uses its own firmware for holding the operating system to a specific range of Macs. Macs older than a certain date can't upgrade past a certain operating system, and Macs newer than a Mac operating system can't get the older Mac operating system installed. This allows for a tighter integration of software and hardware than normally found on PCs. Macs will remarkably allow you to install any PC operating system these days though and run it like a PC.
Most of the time, though the PC data formats are usable on Mac operating system based software.

The MacBook is an excellent notebook and the MacBook Pro in my humble opinion is a better deal than the MacBook, because Firewire offers you up to 64 ports at up to 6 times the speed of USB. USB's real speed is only about 150 Mbps, and slower when multiple devices are on the same bus. Firewire 800 is a true 800 Mbps.

There are used and refurbished MacBooks from prior to October 2009 that have Firewire 400 on them. They are white. And that's true 400 Mbps.

See my FAQ*:

http://www.macmaps.com/usedrefurbished.html

for more details on how to get them and not get ripped off.

- * Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Hi, I'm a PC, but i think I'm supposed to be a MAC.....help.....advice....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.