Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insufficient Disk Space but unable to delete or move files to EHD

My daughter is home from her freshman year of college, and her MacBook hard drive is FULL. Her plan was to begin by moving her iPhoto files to her EHD, but told me it 'wouldn't let her.' She's right - I can't move or delete the photos in her iPhoto Library. I'm having the same issue with other file formats, including .docs.

What am I missing, or what should I be doing to resolve this? Many thanks (in advance!)

Posted on May 20, 2010 8:50 PM

5 replies

May 21, 2010 5:35 AM in response to Lyssa

The drive is about 99% full (I know, I know ... trying to make my 19-year old daughter understand how BAD this is ... @#$@#$@#$ 😉 ) NO error messages even pop up.

In iPhoto as I tried to move files to the EHD, I had no luck at all. When I tried simply moving to the Trash, I had no luck EXCEPT for a couple of folders with only a few photos, and only then if I moved to trash from the File menu - no dragging, no copy/paste or cut/paste.

May 21, 2010 9:51 AM in response to Ssabrina Kapp

Hmm.

If you have another Mac and a firewire cable, you can try shutting down both machines, connecting them using a Firewire cable, then starting the other Mac. Once the other Mac is logged in & ready, boot up her troubled Mac while holding the T key held down. This should start the machine in Target Disk Mode, and its hard drive should show up on the other Mac as an external drive. From there, you should be able to move files.

~Lyssa

Insufficient Disk Space but unable to delete or move files to EHD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.