Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is "Tier 2 Accidental Damage"?

We recently had an, um, accident with my wife's mid-09 13" MacBook Pro, and I had to send it in to Apple for repairs. I got the itemized estimate back today, and it assessed it as "Tier 2 accidental damage" with about $450 worth of repairs. Now, the screen was busted, the superdrive was busted, and the bottom casing was bent. Is there anyway all that only amounts to about $450 worth of repairs with labor included? I ask only because Apple didn't get back to me to answer that question this afternoon and I need to get these estimates to the insurance company ASAP.

So, anyone have any thoughts about it?

MacBook Pro 15" (mid-2009), Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 21, 2010 8:40 PM

7 replies

May 21, 2010 9:07 PM in response to Ferd II

That's what worries me! I'm concerned Apple didn't see or didn't assess the damage to the bottom side of the unit and that it'll come back to me with the bottom side still busted. I was thinking it would be in the $300 range just for the screen, so I'm VERY surprised of the low repair estimate for what I assumed would be a huge repair.

Thanks, though, for the response.

May 25, 2010 10:32 AM in response to super reubs

Hi super reubs,

How was the quote provided to you? Did you send it into the repair depot and get a phone call or email regarding the repair status? If you got the quote directly from the repair depot or from a Genius Admin at a store (if you dropped it off there and they shipped it out) then that's about as officially as it's going to get.

I agree with Ferd, given the nature of the damage to the unit it sounds like you're getting a fantastic deal!

Worse case, call back AppleCare, give them your repair # and ask to get confirmation on the previous quote.

Jun 1, 2010 11:30 AM in response to super reubs

I am fairly certain Apple is giving you the total refurb flat price...I have known people who brought in machines that were out of warranty and heavily damaged and to do those repairs individually would be well over $1500 and they were given a similar deal...And Apple U will get back to you a as close to new as you can get certified perfect machine....

What is "Tier 2 Accidental Damage"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.