Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no wifi for iphone 3gs

i was able to receive wifi from my neighbor on my iphone 3gs. now i do not get a signal. this has been going on for a few months. it does work if i am standing on their porch. i can receive it on my mac laptop, no problems. help please.

iphone 3gs, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on May 22, 2010 11:53 AM

7 replies

May 23, 2010 4:19 PM in response to dhinge

News flash: The law isn't defined by what occurs to you. Using a neighbor's WiFi is illegal because you do not have permission from the ISP to use their service.

It's no different than patching into your neighbor's cable TV or telephone service. The fact that it's wireless is irrelevant. The fact that the WiFi is unsecured is also irrelevant in the same way driving off with a car with keys in the ignition is still car theft. It is still hacking into the system even if you don't need a password the same way entering into an unlocked house is still trespassing.

May 24, 2010 10:53 PM in response to Sawbones64

Jumping to no conclusions at all. Did you ever read the terms of use you signed with your ISP?

In the USA, virtually all allow unlimited data access to the household only, not neighbors within WiFi range. Add a few repeaters, and one account could feed a whole block. ISPs NEVER tolerate sharing Internet accounts based on single household fees.

no wifi for iphone 3gs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.