Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Back Up too SMALL!

Hi,

I've just started to use TM to b/u my entire mac pro hard drive to an external FW HDD. I've excluded nothing (but other drives). After 10 days my TM drive has used significantly less space than the source drive that I'm backing up! How can this be?

Internal source drive = 174GB
TM external HDD = 117 GB
(used figures come from get info)

I'm concerned that TM is missing something, and am thinking to give up on it and use CCC (which I already use to create external boot drives). I've called Apple 2x but no ideas there.

Thanks for any help you can lend.

David

Mac Pro 2.66, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 23, 2010 5:19 AM

5 replies

May 23, 2010 7:26 AM in response to David Milgrim

Some things are excluded automatically -- but they're usually relatively small. Logs, caches, system work files, and trash are the most common; if some of those are huge, that might explain the difference (and point to another problem as well). See #11 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum), for more info on what's excluded.

To check some of that, from a Finder window's menubar select +Go > Go to Folder+ and type /var in the prompt (I find this easiest with the Finder in List view). If any of those folders are in the GB range, take a look. In the log folder, if anything is more than about 500 mb, something's likely going wrong. Investigate and/or post back with the name(s).

To check your caches, look at these folders:

/Library/Caches
/System/Library/Caches
<each home folder>/Library/Caches

If any is in the multi-GB range, that's likely a problem.

Another thing you can do is a bit tedious, but might help. Note the sizes of each of your home folders on your system (and any large folders you might have that aren't in a home folder), then go into Time Machine's "Star Wars" display and do the same.

Post back with your results, and we'll see what to do next.

May 24, 2010 5:04 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks for the reply, Pondini.

Nothing big in /var, or the caches. The only thing over 500MB was a 750MB safari cache.

It's a little hard to compare sizes on home folders, as the computer doesn't want to calculate some folders. I open a get info box and all it says is calculating size, even after 20 minutes. Not sure what is up there.

When I look at sizes inside of TM's app, I'm not sure what I am really looking at, but it still won't calculate a lot of the sizes.

May 24, 2010 6:15 AM in response to David Milgrim

David Milgrim wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Pondini.

Nothing big in /var, or the caches. The only thing over 500MB was a 750MB safari cache.

It's a little hard to compare sizes on home folders, as the computer doesn't want to calculate some folders. I open a get info box and all it says is calculating size, even after 20 minutes. Not sure what is up there.

That's not a good sign; it may take a while, but not forever. Something may be corrupted; try a +*verify disk+* on your internal HD, per #A5 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum).

Time Machine Back Up too SMALL!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.