Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

85W Charger on a Macbook

Hey all,

So my apple charger kicked the bucket the other day...big surprise right? I ordered a charger off ebay to replace it (not paying $80 for a charger!)...only problem is they sent an 85W charger not the 60W I ordered. Is it ok to charge my Macbook with a charger made for a Macbook Pro? I've read conflicting posts on this across the internet and on these forums and don't know which to go by....

I need my computer like now...well yesterday, and I really don't want to wait for a new charger to be shipped if I don't have to. Is it save to use the 85W or will it overpower/fry my computer? Thanks

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 24, 2010 1:15 PM

7 replies

May 24, 2010 3:02 PM in response to amsgator

As Lyssa said, you can use the larger 85W bricks with your MacBook ... I'm using one right now. If your new brick is Apple-branded, don't worry at all.

However, I second her note of caution on non-Apple power adapters. Apple +has not+ licensed its MagSafe technology, so if you're using something without the Apple logo on it, you're 1) using an illegal knock-off and 2) running a risk of damaging your machine.

May 24, 2010 3:28 PM in response to Jay Bullock

IIRC the only thing special about a MagSafe adapter is that it is magnetically (hence MAGsafe) connected to the computer so if the charger cord is yanked the computer stays put. I understand the possible issue with it being the incorrect wattage/voltage etc, and I'm trying to get a replacement. I just wasn't sure if it was the computer that tells the charger how much power to send or if it was the charger that determines and just pushes the power into the computer whether or not the computer can handle it. Anyone know?

85W Charger on a Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.