Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus Protection Package

Hi All,
I am aware that Virus Protection some will say is unnecessary, but my workplace is requiring it on all machines. I need to know what you would all recommend for 1 Xserver running 10.4, and 4 client machines - 3 with 10.4.11 and 1 with 10.6.3.
Any inout would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo - iWeb'08, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 24, 2010 1:38 PM

3 replies

May 24, 2010 2:00 PM in response to enggass

It's time to haul out the "In the interests of complying fully with +/corporate IT requirement whatever/+, please advise what virus defenses and what protection package would be appropriate?" response.

Ask IT.

Without some knowledge of the requirements your IT has set up here; some stuff - such as clamav, antispam and related defenses within mail - are baked into Mac OS X Server. Or the Apple malware blocker that's present in Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server. You might already have everything IT expects here, but we don't know that.

[Here's the Apple official discussion|http://www.apple.com/macosx/security>; that might make a nice reference to include in your request for IT assistance.

May 24, 2010 5:55 PM in response to MrHoffman

Most of our company is PC and the IT guy does not know Mac. I am the In-House Mac guy and he has asked for my help to research. So, all I am asking really is if I were to get some sort of Mac Virus protection, what apps should I look at... Macafee? BitDefender? etc... I will look further into the built in defenses.
Thanks.

May 24, 2010 7:35 PM in response to enggass

The debate of running AV software on OS X notwithstanding, I use Sophos. It is lightweight, effective at eliminating Windows malware from OS X machines, easy to centrally configure and manage, and the last time I looked, the license allows you to give your employees a copy to use at home (that may just be for educational licenses -not sure).

We used McAfee in the past - when I used it was lacking in ease-of-use regarding central management.

IMHO, AV software for OS X is not a big issue at this point, but I don;t want to get caught with my pants down if things change.

Virus Protection Package

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.