Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging multiple iPads

Hello. My school is planning on purchasing 15 iPads to use with our kids. We'd like to be able to setup a storage/charging/syncing box for them. I know that the iPad requires more power than the iPod Touch to charge. I've looked around but I haven't been able to find any recommendations of USB hubs that are iPad charging compatible.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted on May 24, 2010 1:07 PM

21 replies

May 24, 2010 1:17 PM in response to Andrew Kehren

I haven't seen any. You could search for powered hub specs and look for hubs capable of supplying greater than 1 amp at 5 volts per usb port. One amp will charge them overnight. But not as fast as the 2 amp ipad supplied chargers.

One alternative would be a power strip with the ipad-supplied wall chargers.

The wall chargers draw very little current from the 115vac supply.

May 24, 2010 1:17 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:
Each iPad comes with it's own charger, so all you really need is a 110 volt power strip into which you can plug the chargers. Additional chargers can be purchased separately.

True, but I was looking for something that could double as a syncing station so that I wouldn't have to unplug each iPad from their 110 volt charger and plug into a USB hub to sync them.

May 24, 2010 1:36 PM in response to Andrew Kehren

I can only speculate on this...

The USB 3.0 spec is supposed to be higher power. I am uncertain if the iPad can be charged using this low of a power (per 3.0 spec).

USB 3.0 hubs are beginning to appear on the market. Maybe this is an answer. But, as I stated, I have not tried this nor have I had luck with a hub of any spec that I own (2.1 and lower)

May 24, 2010 1:37 PM in response to Andrew Kehren

I don't believe you will find such an animal. There are powered hubs but I doubt the power supplies are large enough to handle both charging and device power needs. Nevertheless you can certainly sync multiple iPads from a hub, but only to one computer, not to multiple computers. Given the iPad's needs I suspect you would be limited to using a four-port hub.

Jan 13, 2011 1:52 PM in response to Huuvola

These are great options: compact and very secure.

From what I understand, charging is a challenge because the iPad needs more power than standard USB hubs can provide. These carts provide enough juice for charging.

They also handle iPads in cases, which is important in classrooms.

We have heard that there will be some other options coming soon.

Charging multiple iPads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.