Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iPad run a *.dmg file?

Will the iPad recognize and run a *.dmg type of file?

Self built, Windows 7, Athlon64 X2 6000+ / 4GB/ Dual GeForce 8800 GTX / 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate

Posted on May 25, 2010 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2010 10:14 AM

No, it won't. Like the iPhone, you cannot download and install things on the iPad except for what is in the App Store.
12 replies

Jun 6, 2010 8:12 AM in response to houstonarcher

The iPad doesn't do much more than the iPod touch or iPhone. If you thought that you could replace your laptop or tablet with the iPad, you're in for a disappointment. The iPad is a cumbersome replacement for the iPod Touch an iPhone. Although Apple has developed many good products, this one was a lazy effort on their part. It is a disappointing product. I am still waiting for an Apple product that can compete with the tablet PC.

Jun 6, 2010 6:02 PM in response to GYG

Both your opinions are duly noted.

On the other hand, I find the iPad to be a great device that fits my needs very well. It's not a laptop (or a tablet device, which is really just a laptop anyway), and I did not expect it to be. I checked on the iPad and it's capabilities before committing, and I have been very satisfied. If I want full-blown capabilities, I'll use my lappie. If I want content, news, books, email, editing, etc delivered on a lightweight, battery efficient, easily transported package, I use the iPad.

I watched so many people get on these forums and complain about the iPad not doing everything a laptop/computer can do. Folks, IT WASN'T DESIGNED TO!!!

Sell your iPad(s), and get a netbook or tablet PC and move on. The iPad obviously doesn't fit you needs the way it fits other's requirements. Perhaps you both should have done a bit more research before buying.

No intent to flame-bait, but coming on here to complain about a product not fitting your needs just shows that you didn't do a proper check. Submitting Suggestions to Apple for additional capabilities, etc is a different story altogether..

Putting on flame-resistant clothing anyway 😉

Jun 24, 2010 10:46 PM in response to houstonarcher

A Dmg is a package used for wrapping an application and support files into a mountable entity.

Even if an iPad could mount a dmg, that is worthless. It doesn't do anything except let you see what the contents are.

Just pretend that '.dmg' spells 'iTunes' and you can package all the apps, music, media and files you want.

Then when you connect to iTunes, pretend you are double clicking on a mounted dmg......BOOM! that's iPad

Mar 21, 2013 12:14 PM in response to houstonarcher

Actually iOS itself IS capable of handling DMG files.

One would need to have to write an app that wraps the hdiutil commands and handle the DMG filesystem.

Here is a link that provides more information:

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Apple_Disk_Image

I hope some developer got time to code an app like that.

Nevertheless iOS can handle DMG formats and theoretically one could code a wraper app.

Will iPad run a *.dmg file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.