7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2010 5:31 AM by omo
romad Level 3 (605 points)
Is it safe to do so? I'd like to carry only one charger.

Active: iMac (G5, G4), PB G4, iPad, iPhone, iPod, MP2100 Retired: iMac G3, A2c, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mac OS 10.4.11, Mac OS 9.2.2, iPhone OS 3.2 & 3.1.3, Newton OS 2.1
  • Swizzlar Level 2 (330 points)
    my experience with electrical devices is to always use the correct charger to charge your device. the ipad charger is a 10v charger while the iphone charger is a 5v. so use a 5v charger for your iphone and 10v for your ipad. i read a couple of threads where users used a wrong charger and it burnt out the ops iphone.
  • prk60091 Level 1 (40 points)
    so far i have had "no issues" charging my 3gs with my ipad charger (i've had the ipad since launch day and i've had my 3gs since last july)
  • celliott147 Level 4 (1,300 points)
    If you use only one charger, use the iPhone charger...better a slow charge on your iPad than a fried iPhone...
  • romad Level 3 (605 points)
    I thought it wouldn't work since it is only 5vdc which is the same as the USB port on my iMac. However, after using a magnifying glass to read the specs on the charger, it is rated at 1 Amp, which is double the .5 Amp of the USB port.
  • Joshua Wein1 Level 1 (15 points)
    I'm sorry but you are wrong.

Both chargers are 5 VOLT. one is 5 watts and one is 10 watts. These are based on maximum amperages before the voltage drops. If you put an iPhone on the ipads charger it will see 5 volts as it always does. It has an inherent internal resistance and will draw a specific amount of amperage and hence power from the charger.
  • erre.pi Level 1 (0 points)
    So Joshua, you are saying that it shouldn't be a problem to use the iPad charger with an iPhone 3GS?

I thought so, but wanted to double check.

Thanks.
  • omo Level 1 (0 points)
    Check: "Myth: iPad charger blowing up iPhone" http://munnecke.com/blog/?p=836