Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Standard users + software updates

Hello,

My environment includes a 10.6 server and a full 2003 Active Directory environment. All of my Macs are connected to AD and I manage their policy via Workgroup Manager on my Xserve. I want to set my Mac users up as Standard instead of Admin, but I run into the issue of them not being able to install updates, which causes a bit of a headache on my end. Is there any way I can either set the updates to install automatically (without authentication) or allow a Standard user to install updates? Are there any variables I can add to com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist to allow this?

Thanks,
Tim

Message was edited by: linedpaper

Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 26, 2010 8:53 AM

4 replies

May 26, 2010 10:38 AM in response to linedpaper

I'd tend to stage this stuff in the background, then trigger and download the updates using ARD or equivalent; Apple [has recommended|http://images.apple.com/business/solutions/it/docs/BestPractices_ClientMgmt.pdf] the send Unix command to ship over softwareupdate commands, when you're ready to roll out an upgrade from your local Software Update Server (SUS) cache.

May 26, 2010 11:30 AM in response to linedpaper

i wouldn't recommend having your users install updates whenever they want unless you're talking about a very small office or something.

if you're putting time into managing prefs and other aspects of user experience, you should also test and apply updates on your schedule.

there are many ways to automate the installation from the client side. most have considerations, so it will require weighing the pros and cons of each method before using one.

there are some posts here that describe the obstacles with this situation:

http://managingosx.wordpress.com/

Standard users + software updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.