Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine Backup to TimeCapsule not backing up

Hello ~

I have nine Macs connected to one TimeCapsule (TC) and eight of them work flawlessly performing a TimeMachine (TM) backup. On the one that doesn't work, it is a PBP with Leopard 10.5.8, and latest updates. The other Macs are 10.5 and 10.6.

I had a user on the PBP that I had been backing up in the past. I removed that user account, and then created a new one. I wanted to start backing up the new account and have the name of the backup be the new name I put under Sharing Preference (I assume that's where TM gets the name of the backup).

Well, apparently not, the name of the backup is still the old user name in Sharing, and on her account. Also, where the backup is supposed to end up, there is nothing there, even though the backup appears to complete. I have looked for the backup on the local drive as well, but I can't find it.

I have repaired permissions, I have thrown out the TM prefs in Mac HD\Library\Preferences\, I have restarted the computer. So far I can not get the name to change on the sparse image that it copies to, and for that matter, I can't find the sparse image anywhere, even though TM says the backup completed without error.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.3), PB Ti 1GHz - The last of it's kind

Posted on May 26, 2010 11:58 AM

1 reply

May 26, 2010 2:03 PM in response to ChazH

Did a bit more research, and discovered that the PBP appears to be using the same file on the TC to do the backup, but it is NOT updating the "Last Modified" date on the sparse image. However, the user's acct was copied to a new computer that the user is now using on a new computer, that is also using the same sparse image and it IS updating the "Last Modified" date. So it appears that both the user's old computer, the PBP and the user's new computer is using the same sparse image on the TC, but only the new computer is changing the "Last Modified" date field.

Even more interesting, as it appears they are both using the same image file, they are separate when you go into TimeMachine, they do not seem to access each other's data.

I really would just like the PBP to stop using the image and create it's own image.

TimeMachine Backup to TimeCapsule not backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.