Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Photos from External Hard Drive to iPhoto

I'm a new Mac user (well, actually I've returned to Mac after 15 years on the "dark side"!). I am trying to transfer all my important stuff from my Windows desktop to my new iMac. All of my digital photos are currently stored on an external (portable) hard drive, and I want to import them all into iPhoto.

Can I just plug in the external drive, open iPhoto, and choose "Import"? The photos are currently organised in folders by year, and then date and event name eg 2010 Photos - 2010-05-25 School Sports Day.

I'm confused about how iPhoto will import them. I want each of my existing "event" folders to be a separate "roll" (is that what it's called?) in iPhoto. I hope that makes sense!

Any help gratefully received!

Janine

iMac 3.0gHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 26, 2010 11:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2010 11:37 PM

If you want to duplicate your Folder Tree in iPhoto:

iPhoto -> Preferences -> Events and Uncheck the box at 'Imported Items from the Finder'

Start at the bottom of your hierarchy and drag a folder of images to the Album Heading in iPhoto. The pics will be imported and an Album of the same name created.

You can then create the Enclosing Folders in the iPhoto Window (File -> New Folder) and drag the Album to it. Folders can contain other Folders (Nested Folders) and Albums.

However, is your folder system date based? Then this form of organisation is a bit pointless in iPhoto when Smart Albums or the Calendar tool (Click on the wee magnifying glass in the Search Box) mean you can find the photos taken on any day, month or year at a click. With Smart Albums it's easy to find photos from specific range - say, June 3 to August 25, 2009 etc.

If your folder system is theme based - Xmas pics, Birthday pics etc, then you'll find Keywords are much more flexible, and can be used in conjunction with other criteria for making Smart Albums and searches.

Regards

TD
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2010 11:37 PM in response to Janine T

If you want to duplicate your Folder Tree in iPhoto:

iPhoto -> Preferences -> Events and Uncheck the box at 'Imported Items from the Finder'

Start at the bottom of your hierarchy and drag a folder of images to the Album Heading in iPhoto. The pics will be imported and an Album of the same name created.

You can then create the Enclosing Folders in the iPhoto Window (File -> New Folder) and drag the Album to it. Folders can contain other Folders (Nested Folders) and Albums.

However, is your folder system date based? Then this form of organisation is a bit pointless in iPhoto when Smart Albums or the Calendar tool (Click on the wee magnifying glass in the Search Box) mean you can find the photos taken on any day, month or year at a click. With Smart Albums it's easy to find photos from specific range - say, June 3 to August 25, 2009 etc.

If your folder system is theme based - Xmas pics, Birthday pics etc, then you'll find Keywords are much more flexible, and can be used in conjunction with other criteria for making Smart Albums and searches.

Regards

TD

Importing Photos from External Hard Drive to iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.