Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMTP server removal

It is possible to add new SMTP servers. However, I do not see any possibility to rmove these singly or all. Also tried to remove all mail accounts, but SMTP servers remained??!! It further looks like it is not possible to assign one of the listed SMTP servers as the prime.

iphone and ipad 3G v. 3.2 7B367, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on May 27, 2010 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2010 4:57 AM

jan243 wrote:
It is possible to add new SMTP servers. However, I do not see any possibility to rmove these singly or all. Also tried to remove all mail accounts, but SMTP servers remained??!! It further looks like it is not possible to assign one of the listed SMTP servers as the prime.

On the iPad. Go to Settings, Mail-contacts-Cal, tap on email account, at the SMTP line, tap the right arrow. A screen will appear that lets you set the primary SMTP server, add more SMTP servers or inactivate included SMTP servers. I guess delete is not possible, enless you reset the ipad's network settings.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2010 4:57 AM in response to jan243

jan243 wrote:

On the iPad. Go to Settings, Mail-contacts-Cal, tap on email account, at the SMTP line, tap the right arrow. A screen will appear that lets you set the primary SMTP server, add more SMTP servers or inactivate included SMTP servers. I guess delete is not possible, enless you reset the ipad's network settings.

May 27, 2010 7:38 AM in response to red555

The reson for me really wanting to delete SMTP servers that I have seen that the system reports error on sending mail to servers which are indeed deactivated.
There is no way to assign servers as prime as long as you have entered he first server.
You talk about resetting network settings - I do not see such function.

Jul 8, 2011 12:39 PM in response to jan243

Even though a workaround was posted, I don't consider this to be a solution. *Why*, when *deleting* an account, is the SMTP server information (including username and password) retained?!

I consider this to be a major security flaw in the iOS design.

The retained information is *not* visible after the account is deleted unless another POP or IMAP account is configured. If another account is configured, someone could go into the SMTP settings for that account and view previously-configured SMTP servers.

This SMTP information may be retained by design to increase ease of use. However, when a user's password information is saved without them knowing it, that is a major security flaw. When a user taps a big red button to *delete* an account, all of the associated information with that account should be *deleted*.

SMTP server removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.