Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange line breaks in Apple Mail

OK, first of all, I'm not talking about quoted text (f=f or format=flowed), at least I don't "think* I am.

I keep encountering strange, unpredictable extra line breaks - or at other times the lack thereof - when composing email. I can't see a pattern to it, very frustrating, so I think the problem only occurs when I reply to or forward someone else's email, not starting fresh.

When I reply to an email - and even if I Select All text and remove all quoting (Option-Command-' as many times as necessary), I often see linespacing too tall between some lines. Even if I concatenate the two sentences and enter my own carriage return, there still is too much space between the lines. Then after I send the email and look at the message from my Sent box, there is no line break whatsoever where I thought I forced one. Or other times there are multiple linebreaks. Aaarrgghh!

So my workaround has been to copy & paste my bodytext into Apple TextEdit, then turn right around and copy it from there and paste it into a brand new email message. (If I delete all the text from my original email reply and paste it there, sometimes the weird line breaks still occur.)

It doesn't seem to matter whether I change my offending email reply or forward message from Rich Text to Plain Text; the problem still occurs.

Is there some Mail preference setting I can change to avoid this convoluted and infuriating procedure?

"June 2009" 17" MacBook Pro (5,2), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:11 AM

4 replies

Jun 19, 2010 3:39 PM in response to KevinSmith

Well, it appears that I have a lot of terminology totally wrong, so it might be best to disregard my comments.

I think I addressed this problem on my system a long time ago. I remember being able to remap the return key—but I can't find any evidence that my memory is good or reliable (very sadlly). I didn't get any extra soft/freeware. I didn't download anything.

It also occurs to me that in other applications (word processors), I have asked them to stop adding the extra space after paragraphs, but I don't find any way of translating that idea.

Aug 8, 2010 8:23 AM in response to George Machen

Bump.

Are these phantom extra line breaks and vanishing line breaks not occurring to anyone else?

In Mail Preferences > Composing > Responding > Quote the text of the original message

...I tried disabling (unchecking) it, but it doesn't make much difference. Again, the problems occur in the body of a

Message > Reply

...not a newly-created message. I've even pasted the body text into TextWrangler and done a "Zap Gremlins" and "Remove Line Breaks," but after I paste it back into Mail and reset my line breaks like I want, I still get extra and/or removed line endings when I review my sent message.

Strange line breaks in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.