Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari issues loading pages after migration

I migrated from a 15" MBPro Core Duo model to a brand new 15" MBP Core i7 two days ago. After migration I had several software updates that I installed including an Airport utility, Security update and Java script update. Safari now runs horribly. Pages take forever to load or they just freeze and the whole experience is pretty frustrating. I've tested pages along side Chrome / Firefox and Safari is just awful in comparison. Safari WAS incredible on the old system and no other browser was nearly as good. Any ideas what's up? Should I consider a reinstall of Safari? Anything I should try before doing this? Thanx.

15" MacBook Pro 2.66ghz Intel i7, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 27, 2010 7:40 PM

14 replies

May 27, 2010 7:43 PM in response to Jonathan Hils

HI,

Sounds like you migrated some files from Safari. Try deleting the Safari .plist file and see if that helps.

Go to the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari/Preferences. Make note of all the preferences under each tab. Quit Safari. Now go to ~/Library/Preferences and move this file com.apple.safari.plist to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari.

Carolyn 🙂

May 28, 2010 8:40 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

That didn't seem to help. What I've noticed is that if I try to load a page by clicking on a link or entering an address the first time, Safari tries to load the page, but in almost EVERY instance when it appears to be hung-- if I try to load the page by highlighting the address bar and I physically click return- the page loads instantly. In other words, as soon as I see a page isn't loading after a few seconds, I highlight the address, click return and boom-- page loads. Otherwise, I'm finding some pages take 15-20 seconds to load and some just don't. This doesn't happen all the time, but more often than not. Chrome is still pretty seamless in comparison.

May 28, 2010 10:55 AM in response to Jonathan Hils

HI,

Are you running 10.6.3 or 10.5.3?

Might be a webpageicon causing this.

Web pages now include a small icon or 'favicon' which is visible in the address bar and next to bookmarks. These icons take up disk space and slow Safari down. It is possible to erase the icons from your computer and start fresh. *To delete Safari's icon cache using the Finder, open your user folder, navigate to ~/Library/Safari/ and move this file "webpageIcons.db to the Trash.*

Relaunch Safari.

🙂

May 29, 2010 2:16 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Removed icons, didn't seem to help much. Chrome is still sizzling along and loading pages & content much faster. I tested this from the Quicktime trailers page. I can literally load a trailer in Safari and watch the status bar creep along for 8-10 seconds, then while this is going on, open chrome, navigate to Quicktime trailers, click the trailer and watch it load and start much faster. In nearly every instance Chrome is loading the entire trailer before Safari get's 2/3 of it. On 2 occasions, Safari was hung trying to load a trailer page and I could access it easily through Chrome. I'm puzzled. Should I just export my bookmarks and try to reinstall Safari from scratch?

May 29, 2010 2:32 PM in response to Jonathan Hils

HI Jonathan,

Install the v10.6.3 v1.1 Combo Update It's ok to do this even though you are already running v10.6.3.

Then repair disk permissions.

Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling Safari. Best way to do this is to reinstall from your install disc. Insert the Snow Leopard install disc or install disc. Open the Optional Installs folder, then open Optional Installs.mpkg

An Installer will start... click Continue. When you get to the Installation Type in the window on the right you will see: Applications. Click the Disclosure triangle so it faces down. Select Safari then click Continue.

When Safari is reinstalled click the Apple Menu/Software Updates. That will update Safari to 4.0.5

🙂

Message was edited by: Carolyn Samit

Jun 3, 2010 8:51 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

OK-- so this isn't a Safari specific issue.1) Reinstalled the combo update & the Java update 2) Chrome and Firefox are now taking FOREVER to load pages or just not loading period (Firefox hit 89 seconds and I about through this thing across the room). 3) I used the SpeedTest website and it showed 9.9 Mbps download & 4.5 Mbps upload speed. My wife came back from a trip and we tested her 15" MBP Core Duo 2 machine running OSX 10.5.8 & Safari 4.0.4. Her laptop is SIZZLING fast. Set them up next to each other trying to use Lynda.com site. It's like night & day. Tried on Safari & Firefox on her machine (Chrome not installed). Is this an wireless card issue? I had to replace my extreme card the first week I got my first gen intel machine???!!! I'm running Safari in 32 bit mode, deselected Block Pop Ups.... what next?

Jun 3, 2010 9:01 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Oh my. This will be the third try to respond because this laptop isn't playing nice with the internet!!! My last attempt stalled at 1:43 trying to upload! So this isn't a Safari specific issue anymore. I re-installed the Combo update & the Java update. Now NONE of the browsers are working correctly. I mean it's really aggravating now. My wife just got back from 2 weeks in Europe and we sat down & tested her 15" MBP Core Duo 2 running 10.5.8 & Safari 4.0.4. We both logged in to the Lynda.com website and it's NIGHT & DAY. Her machine is SIZZLING fast... mine is slower than death. One try using Firefox took 139 seconds to load a page. Here's the thing, it's spotty. Sometimes a page loads rather fast, other times they just don't. Wife's machine-- consistent on every page & tutorial we tried to open. What next? Airport card issue? I have taken down ALL firewalls on the MBP & the router, deselected block pop ups. Nothing is working.

Jun 3, 2010 9:35 PM in response to Jonathan Hils

So I found a suggestion on another forum saying that MANUALLY entering your router DNS values in the network preferences solves the problem. Did it and BAM! I'm flying again. Things are loading, Youtube vids load, other pages & quick Lynda test was great. Why did this solve the problem? I hope it's permanent, but I'm not that optimistic.

Jun 5, 2010 12:57 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I've have the same post-migration issues with slight differences, like spell checking not working in Safari and deleting text in Mail. As I followed this thread I was hoping for a tip that didn't involve the store.

You have made many good suggestions that apply to a user account fix, anything to try at the higher system level? (I get the same issues on all other accounts.)

I can't reinstall Safari due to, "my volume doesn't meet the requirements for this update and cannot be installed".

Thanks in advance.

Sep 20, 2010 2:32 PM in response to Air Head

I saw this thread. And this is what I am seeing too. I try to get to bn.com and it can't find server. Even mozilla.com can't connect to server. Safari is now way too slow, and can't connect to a lot of servers. This has started happening recently, so I reset my MBP to factory settings, yes formatted the hard drive, and guess what? NO difference. Still doesn't work.

I think Macs are way better than windows PCs, but I don't have this issue with windows. What is the solution?

Safari issues loading pages after migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.