Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Stick Pro Duo Compatible with imac 27 ?

Hi,
I have some photos that I want to move it from my photo camera(Sony DSC-W150) memory stick to my iMac. The mem stick is Pro Duo 4 GB. I plugged the mem stick into my iMac and nothing happened. From what I know, iPhoto should automatically open and ask if you wish to save the photos,or at least to see the mem stick in iPhotos but nothing happened. It is not seen as a device either. Does anybody know if the card reader which is incorporated into iMac, can rad only certain types of memory cards ? Or anybody here has encountered this problem?
Thank you!

iMac27, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 2,8 GHz Intl Core i7, 4 core, L2 Cache per core 256 Kb, L3 Cache 8 MB, Memory 8 GB

Posted on May 28, 2010 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2010 9:38 AM

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html and your user manual should state that only SD cards can be read. SD is a much more widely used standard than Sony's Memorystick, that both Canon & Nikon have agreed upon.

USB & Firewire Memorystick readers exist, and frequently those 14 in 1 readers include Sony's Memorystick compatibility. Read the specs carefully. Hopefully you haven't damaged the port on the iMac, or the Memorystick.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2010 9:38 AM in response to Taifunita

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html and your user manual should state that only SD cards can be read. SD is a much more widely used standard than Sony's Memorystick, that both Canon & Nikon have agreed upon.

USB & Firewire Memorystick readers exist, and frequently those 14 in 1 readers include Sony's Memorystick compatibility. Read the specs carefully. Hopefully you haven't damaged the port on the iMac, or the Memorystick.

May 28, 2010 9:41 AM in response to Taifunita

Does your card look something like this:

http://www.sandisk.com/products/imaging/sandisk-ultra-memory-stick-pro-hg-duo

I looked at most of their info and could not find if this is the same type of card as an SD card, which is what the slot in the iMac is for ("SD card slot").

Now, although I use SDHC (high capacity/spped SD) cards, I had to get a high speed card reader which I just plug into any USB port. I noticed that yours is also high speed; you might want to check on a usually rather inexpensive high speed USB card reader.

May 28, 2010 10:06 AM in response to a brody

Hi and thank you for your answer.
I am a new Mac user. No, the card is OK, because I can connect the camera via USB and I can download the pictures. I just wanted to use the card reader that my new iMac has, without to connect the camera. Also, I wanted to be sure that the SD card slot it is not damaged from the transportation, because my wireless did not work when I receive the computer (they fixed now).

May 28, 2010 11:43 AM in response to Taifunita

My Sandisk SDHC cards came with their own high speed reader (free in the package); you will probably want to have a second memory card in reserve - 4 GB wont last you very long if you shoot some video and/or high res stills, so if you are checking on that possibility, you can see if they also offer a "package". And thanks for the star.

Memory Stick Pro Duo Compatible with imac 27 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.