Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way to make a picture look like it is talking?

or do you have to use some outside software for this?
I have a picture I want to use in imovie and make it look like it is speaking to someone, I think I found some outside software, but was wondering if anyone knew how to do this with the software I have? (imovie, iphoto, photoshop elements) thanks in advance! Pete

Imac-intel

Posted on May 28, 2010 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2010 11:12 AM

I have iStopMotion 2 for Mac: http://www.boinx.com/istopmotion/overview/

You can animate with it. But no, you can't animate with your existing software. Sorry. 🙂
5 replies

Jun 14, 2010 1:00 PM in response to pdewald011205

I have the 99$ version of it, which has a feature called "rotoscoping" that lets you put audio in sync to a animation. I would highly recommend iStopMotion, as there are three programs for Mac in the animation category and iStopMotion is the best one, in my opinion.
As for your other question, I am using it on Snow Leopard and, aside from a couple small glitches, it works beautifully. The interface doesn't look like it came from Tiger-- it looks like it came from ten years into the future!
With iStopMotion, you can export your projects into Quicktime movies for later importing into iMovie, Final Cut Express, or Final Cut Pro. So you could make an animation with rotoscoping and then put it into iMovie to add titles or live action.
NOTE: Rotoscoping is only included with the 99$ version, but it's really worth it to make the upgrade.

Good luck in making your movie!

Jun 15, 2010 11:11 AM in response to pdewald011205

Don't know for sure if this would work, depends on if the person talking is facing the cam or if it's a profile view. If it's a front on shot then make a still of the person, export to Photoshop, with a soft edge eraser erase the mouth area. Export back to iMovie as a transparent .png. Shoot someone speaking, as near the same size, lighting, color & location on the screen as the person in the still. Back in iMovie put the speaking layer under the still layer, align the mouth under the transparent area in the still & maybe you'll get what you want. There's many past postings here about how to make a transparent .png layer. Since you have Photoshop Elements, that's where I advise you to make the still, transparent and a .png.
Good luck & let us know if you can solve the problem, probably more than a few people wanting to solve the same thing.

is there a way to make a picture look like it is talking?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.