Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copying files failed, because you don't have permission to change your...

New day, new problem. I have tried to consolidate/move songs to external drive through itunes/library/organize/consolidate. At first it looks like everything is copying over and at the end I get an error message saying, "copying files failed, because you don't have permission to change your ITUNES media folder or a folder within it." does anybody know what that means and what to do. I am an administrator for the laptop so I should be able to do what I want in that regard.

macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on May 28, 2010 9:29 AM

23 replies

May 28, 2010 9:35 AM in response to daduser

see your other thread 😉

Jolly Giant wrote:
daduser wrote:
"copying files failed, because you don't have permission to change your ITUNES media folder or a folder within it."

check if you have read & write permissions for your iTunes music (or media) folder. in finder, right-click on it and +get info+. unlock the little padlock (you may have to enter your admin password) and change the permission settings. if permissions settings check out, click on the little gear-shaped icon and +apply to enclosed items+ like so

User uploaded file

now try consolidating again.

J GG

User uploaded file

Feb 1, 2012 6:55 AM in response to daduser

i found myself having the same problem after i wanted to copy my library to an external harddrive when suddenly my power cut off and the transfer was incomplete!

the problem was, that my library was partly on my mbp party on the hdd and i couldn't continue with the copyprocess.

"copying files failed, because you don't have permission to change your ITUNES media folder or a folder within it."

i found out that a lot of my mp3's weren't connected to its origin (mainly the oldest ones),

my itunes library file was corrupt!

A recover from my time machine backup could resolve the problem. all mp3's have to be connected, no exclamation mark's should be visible (try randomly clicking mp3's to see if they play).

hope i could help

Mar 3, 2012 12:12 PM in response to daduser

I just began having the problem, too. I upgraded to Lion a month or two ago. The problem just appeared this week. There have been no changes to my iTunes Library other than adding tunes, podcasts, etc.

I am able to discard the iTunes Music Library.xml and stop it for a while but the issue resurfaces after the machine is booted after being powered down.

Mac Pro 2.8 Quad Core, OS 10.7.3, iTunes 10.5.3 (3)

BTW, my problem is "iTunes can't save the library error-54"

Oct 23, 2012 9:16 AM in response to daduser

I've been experiencing this issue for several months. I knew to try to repair permissions AND changing the Read/Write status on the iTunes folder in the Finder.

However, none of these remedies resolved my issue.

I had to basically setup a brand new iTunes library, download everything from the iTunes Store and setup every single device associated with iTunes all over again.

Now that I've done this, it's been 1 week without any issues...until today.

I've repaired the permissions more than I care to admit. Nada.

I've got the iTunes folder (and everything within it) so writable that my dog has access to write to the folders... (yes that's sarcasm...so you can grin)...

...aaaand still iTunes will NOT let me add any media, downloads, or anything to the library because I do not have access privileges. I want to shoot myself. This has been hours & hours of repairing, restarting, setting another itunes library, moving everything again and again...

Something's got to be wrong at the root level and this is affecting my phone, and all other devices... Can anyone help?

(By the way I'm not a total noob since I've been using and advising with Apple products for over 20 years--so any advice you can bring OTHER than repairing permissions and "Get Info" in the Finder will be most appreciated.)

copying files failed, because you don't have permission to change your...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.