Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT Home Hub Apple TV

This is written for people with little or no experience of apple tv and Windows.

Symptoms:
Apple TV did not appear in the left hand side of iTunes under the devices menu on my PC. Indeed the devices menu option did not appear in iTunes.

Solution:
1. Update the software on Apple TV (Settings | General | Update software)
2. Perform windows update (Start | All programs | Windows update)
3. Obtain the latest release of iTunes software. Run iTunes. From the iTunes menu select About | Check for updates. I am running version 9.1.1.12.
4. Check that you can view movie trailers from Apple TV. If you can't then you the apple TV has not connected to the BT home hub wireless network. You need to enter the BT home hub wireless key (which is found on the back of the bt home hub) as you password when you set up the network. Check again that you can view Movie trailers. Don't proceed until you can.
5. Enter the BT home hub manager (Start | All Programs | BT Home Hub | Hub manager). Select Advanced. Enter admin as the username and your password to your hub. This is either a password you entered when you first set up the hub or the S/N number printed on the back of the BT Home Hub. Click continue to advanced. Select Application sharing. Select Create a new game or application.
Enter MyAppleTV against Name. Select Manual Entry of Port Maps.
Enter this Information one line at a time:
Protocol | Port range | Translate To ... | Trigger Protocol | Trigger Port
TCP 123 is used to communicate with a network time server.
* TCP port 3689 is used to communicate with iTunes while using the iTunes Library Sharing feature.
* UDP port 5353 is used by Apple TV for automatically finding computers with iTunes on your network using Bonjour.
* TCP port 80 is used for communicating with podcast servers.
* TCP port 80 and 443 are used for basic and secure communications with the iTunes Store via the Internet.
* TCP port 53 is used for regular DNS.

PC, Windows XP, Home edition Service Pack 3

Posted on May 29, 2010 3:40 AM

4 replies

May 29, 2010 3:58 AM in response to spxppg

This is written for people with little or no experience of apple tv and Windows.
Apple support helped but the majority of this came from trawling the web.

Symptoms:
Apple TV did not appear in the left hand side of iTunes software under the devices menu. Indeed the devices menu did not appear in iTunes.

My set up:
Windows XP SP3 Home edition.
BT home hub (black)
Apple TV
Windows essential anti virus software
Windows firewall in the security centre turned on

Solution:
1. Update the software on Apple TV (Settings | General | Update software)
2. Perform windows update (Start | All programs | Windows update)
3. Obtain the latest release of iTunes software. Run iTunes. From the iTunes menu select About | Check for updates. I am running version 9.1.1.12.
4. Check that you can view movie trailers from Apple TV. If you can't then you the apple TV has not connected to the BT home hub wireless network. You need to enter the BT home hub wireless key (which is found on the back of the bt home hub) as you password when you connect your apple TV to the wireless network. Check again that you can view Movie trailers. Don't proceed until you can.
5. Enter the BT home hub manager (Start | All Programs | BT Home Hub | Hub manager). Select Advanced. Enter admin as the username and your password to your hub. This is either a password you entered when you first set up the hub or the S/N number printed on the back of the BT Home Hub. Click continue to advanced. Select Application sharing. Select Create a new game or application.
Enter MyAppleTV against Name. Select Manual Entry of Port Maps.
Enter this Information one line at a time:
Protocol | Port range | Translate To ... | Trigger Protocol | Trigger Port
TCP | 123 | TCP | TCP | 1
TCP | 3689 | TCP | TCP | 1
UDP | 5353 | UDP | UDP | 1
TCP | 80 | TCP | TCP | 1
TCP | 443 | TCP | TCP | 1
TCP | 53 | TCP | TCP | 1

6. In BT home hub manager navigate to the devices menu, just above application sharing. And select MyAppleTV from the drop down menu and assign it.

7. Turn the power off on the Apple TV, BT home hub, and PC. You must turn the BT home hub off.
8. Turn on Home hub, PC. Wait for your network to return. When it has turn on apple TV.
9. Open up iTunes. In the menu select Edit | Preferences | Apple TV. Check that Check for Apple TVs is selected.
10. In iTunes under Library and Store, Devices should appear and within Devices Apple TV should appear.
11. If this does not work then phone Apple support and do not let them fob you off by offering you a replacement Apple TV.

I found I did not have to turn off my Windows Essentials anti virus software. I did not have to turn off the firewall in the Control panel | Security centre, and I did not have to turn off the firewall in my BT home hub.

Connecting equipment together from rival companies is never easy.

Good luck.

Dr. Gladwin

May 29, 2010 7:03 AM in response to spxppg

Huh??? I have a BT Home Hub and recently purchased an AppleTV. All that was needed was plug in the AppleTV and set it up as per instructions, without any problems. Mind you, I de-activated the hopeless wireless in the BT HH long, long ago and get the wireless signal via an Airport Extreme. It all works beautifully, for music (including playing iTunes library on the A-TV in other parts of the house through an Airport Express) and for movies. In fact the movie rental experience has been great and far exceeded expectations.

May 29, 2010 7:06 AM in response to Chenks

Chenks, you are spot on re the BT HH service, but they are a monopoly provider where I live. As mentioned in the other post, things improved when I killed the HH wireless and switched to an Airport Extreme.

I have toyed with completely ditching the HH to generally improve service and also because it blocks the port that iChat uses (yes, I know, I know, you can use Skype but iChat allows video chat with three participants which just happens to matter with us in the UK, a son in the US and a daughter in Australia).

BT Home Hub Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.