Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate Address Book

I made a copy of my address book. Does anyone know how to keep the copy from changing every time I make a change to the original address book?
Thank you, Linda

Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on May 29, 2010 9:30 AM

7 replies

May 30, 2010 9:06 AM in response to Barry Hemphill

Thank you for your responses Barry. My goal is to be able to open the Address Book and have it reflect how it looks today. Not to open it with changes that I will have made tomorrow. If I archive the address book, when I next go to open the archive, Address Book replaces the current address book data with the archived. I guess I want to have two Address Books which I guess isn't going to happen.

May 30, 2010 9:45 AM in response to Linda in Phoenix

I guess I want to have two Address Books which I guess isn't going to happen.

Yep, not possible except the method I mentioned. Create an Archive of the Address Book as you want it. When you want to go back, double-click on the Archive and you will be back to what you wanted.
If you want to keep the changes as another Archive, you can make that and bounce back and forth between the two.

What exactly is your goal with the two address books metaphor. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

May 30, 2010 11:51 AM in response to Barney-15E

So, if I understand you correctly, I will make an archive of the Address Book. Days later, when I want to access it, I make an archive of the current Address Book and then open the older archive. When I am done with the older, unchanged archive, I then open the newer, more current archive. I want to password protect one unchangeable address book and leave another available for changes. The reason I want to use Address Book is because of synching with MobileMe.

May 30, 2010 1:51 PM in response to Linda in Phoenix

Linda in Phoenix wrote:
So, if I understand you correctly, I will make an archive of the Address Book. Days later, when I want to access it, I make an archive of the current Address Book and then open the older archive. When I am done with the older, unchanged archive, I then open the newer, more current archive. I want to password protect one unchangeable address book and leave another available for changes.

That is correct. If you want to password protect the permanent one, then [create an encrypted disk image|http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1578] in Disk Utility. Since you don't want to add much to this address book, I would just use a regular disk image and make it about 10-20% larger than your current addressbook folder. A sparse disk image allows you to set a very large size to grow into. Even though you may make it 50GB, if you only use 5MB, that is all that it will take up on disk. It can grow to whatever that max size you create it as.

To use it, mount the image and create the archive in that disk image (looks just like an external hard drive). After you have recovered the archive, eject the mounted disk image. When you want to get the the archive again, double-click on the disk image, enter the password, and it will mount like a hard disk. Eject it and it will go back to its encrypted state.
The reason I want to use Address Book is because of synching with MobileMe.

I still don't understand. No matter, though. I also don't have MobileMe, so trying to come up with a better way wouldn't be productive, I don't think.

Duplicate Address Book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.