Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube very slow loading--anyone else notice slow loading for YouTube?

I've tried watching various videos on YouTube but loading is very slow.

I've watched the same videos on my iPhone with no loading problems. As a matter of fact, I can watch a video on YouTube on my iPhone while my iPad is still loading it.

Why? Kinda disappointing.

iMac and Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on May 29, 2010 3:34 PM

20 replies

May 30, 2010 8:29 PM in response to Mulderscully

My iPad can't run Youtube videos--- they either refuse to load or freeze up midstream. Most photo/video sites bog down, like flickr and the photos sections of Facebook. And my iPad also loses its connection to my wife frequently as well. I really do have the feeling that the wifi connectivity of the iPad is grossly overstated. It seems to be really hit or miss.

Jun 1, 2010 2:22 PM in response to Mulderscully

changing the DNS didn't help me with the iPad and Youtube/videos. Called apple and made an appointment with at the local Apple store. Of course the unit worked flawlessly in the store.

It seemed clear that the issue was related to my NetGear wifi unit, so I upgraded the firmware on it to the latest release. Now the videos are loading and playing fine, and I've got fewer instances of picture file downloads on Flickr returning download errors.

Fingers crossed that it will hold, but it looks good right now.

Jun 1, 2010 5:23 PM in response to dphershman

My Airport Express is up to date so hopefully I don't have anymore issues.

It is a deal breaker for me. Part of the point of having an iPad is the ability to watch a YouTube video now and then.

Come to think of it, my Airport Express is a couple of years old though (g not n). I wonder if picking up an additional, newer "n" Express would solve any issues.

Jun 19, 2010 10:35 AM in response to CoreyOConnor

For people who are having a rough time with this fix, try the following: erase all of the pre-existing DNS addresses in your wifi setting. Then, add in the one from the suggested fix. The first time I tried the fix, I just added in the new DNS address at the end of the pre-existing list, but there were no changes in load times. After, I went back and erased the old list, load times are night and day faster.

Jul 16, 2010 1:32 AM in response to marconiusrex

I've been experiencing slow youtube streaming and WiFi drops since day one. After several weeks I found a lot of workarounds including some WiFi router configuration changes (channels, RTS, fragmentation etc) as well as iPad settings changes (openDNS servers, disabling auto-brightness etc). Somehow, combination of these "magic" helped me with the youtube playback (lowres videos only, 720p was still buffering a lot) but I've still been experiencing the drops. Now, after the iOS 3.2.1 update, the WiFi drops are gone, great, but... now I can't even play a lowres youtube video! 3min video takes about 15 minutes to load up while any other device on my network works flawlessly(iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, MacBook, MacBook Pro) and the adrenaline level in my blood is starting to be critical. I will throw this peace of ... HW ... out of the window soon. Am I the only one experiencing this after the update? Is there any statement from Apple on this?

Jul 25, 2010 11:28 PM in response to MisterMojo

In relation to misterMojo and the DNS fix, i tried it and it did nothing and after seeing that it did nothing i renewed my lease and turned of wifi and turned it back on. This reset my DNS back to what it was by default then i just deleted the DNS all together and left it blank, which surprised me it loaded a video (KORG iELECTRIBE for iPad: Performing with a Pattern Set) by Denktribe, his videos are heavy for the ipad and after doing what i said before it runs this video much more smoothly, like the buff jumps way ahead.

Hope this helps ~ tinker tricky crap !

YouTube very slow loading--anyone else notice slow loading for YouTube?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.