Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2010 11:08 PM by tipinsj
RICH1803 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I set up a Bilkin N router via my IMac. Opened my IPad put in password ...bang I'm on. I have done this since I purchased my IPad and it has been perfect. Went to a new location this weekend and used my daughters wi-fi and placed her password in...worked like a charm. Came home...IPad recognized my router..typed password in DENIED. I even went to my "keychain" to verify password and prove my mind hadn't completing deteriorated...lol. And the password was correct. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

IPad
  • dlg_az Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    If it were me, I'd try rebooting my router. If that didn't work, then I'd change the router password, reboot and try it again.
  • Chris Carlson Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    I've been there, just return the iPad and get a refund.

    iPad WiFi problems...

    Princeton University is the only unbiased authority on this subject that I can find. By late May more than half of the iPads connecting on their network had this problem..... read for yourself:
    http://www.net.princeton.edu/announcements/ipad-iphoneos32-stops-renewing-lease- keeps-using-IP-address.html

    Don't let some of the wire heads on these forums convince you otherwise. The product has a proble
  • red555 Level 4 Level 4 (2,550 points)
    Chris Carlson wrote:
    Don't let some of the wire heads on these forums convince you otherwise. The product has a problem.


    And Apple has admitted they know about the wifi issues and are working on a software fix to "..deal with remaining wifi issues."

    Many people that post here truely try to help. Not sure why that makes 'some' of us wireheads.
  • necronym Level 4 Level 4 (1,350 points)
    One thing I noticed when typing passwords and email addresses, sometimes iPad keyboard highlights the 'shift' key (arrow outline turns blue or it inserts what it thinks the word should be). If this is what is happening, your password entry will not be case correct.

    Try re-entering your password, but keep an eye on the shift key and/ or autocorrect options while entering your password
  • Ken Laji Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm having s most weird problem - when in try to join s password protected wifi network, the popup screen does not allow me to 'save' s password. The Cancel button does not turn to Save on typing the password and the only option remaining active is the Cancel button! It applies to all password protected networks. I was able to join one password protected network at the outset, but no longer. Interested to know if anyone else has the same problem and any possible workarounds.
  • JimHdk Level 7 Level 7 (26,725 points)
    Ken Laji wrote:
    I'm having s most weird problem - when in try to join s password protected wifi network, the popup screen does not allow me to 'save' s password. The Cancel button does not turn to Save on typing the password and the only option remaining active is the Cancel button! It applies to all password protected networks. I was able to join one password protected network at the outset, but no longer. Interested to know if anyone else has the same problem and any possible workarounds.


    The password is automatically saved for the network name that you are trying to join. This network will become a "known" network and will be automatically re-joined when the iPad is in it's vincinity. It is possible to forget a known network with the "Forget this network" button in the details of the network in the Settings > WiFi > Your Network. If you do this you will be starting fresh with that network. If your iPad is not automatically rejoining a known network then there could be several reasons including that the security method or password has changed. More details would be required to further discuss this.
  • MacCrack Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    I have the same problem. My router will not accept the password, this seems to happen only after my iPad has been on another network (at work).

    I solved it with resetting the iPad (hold Power- and Home-Button at the same time).

    But it's annoying and I hope Apple will fix this soon.
  • moocherx Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have exactly the same problem trying to connect at home after having connected at work. Pop-up says "incorrect password" over and over again.

    It only happens with the iPad, no other computers where I use both networks.

    I have to turn off the iPad, and turn it back on. It of course then reconnects by itself to this known network.

    Come on Apple, this was not a cheap device. Get it working.
  • JimHdk Level 7 Level 7 (26,725 points)
    moocherx wrote:
    I have exactly the same problem trying to connect at home after having connected at work. Pop-up says "incorrect password" over and over again.

    It only happens with the iPad, no other computers where I use both networks.

    I have to turn off the iPad, and turn it back on. It of course then reconnects by itself to this known network.

    Come on Apple, this was not a cheap device. Get it working.


    Why not apply the 3.2.1 update from Apple? It was released on July 15th.

    IOS 3.2.1 Software Update for iPad

    This IOS software update for iPad contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following:

    Improved Wi-Fi connectivity
    Fixed an issue that could prevent a copy and paste of single-page PDF attachments in Mail
    Addressed an issue that could cause video playback to freeze
    Improved reliability of video-out when using iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter
    Added Bing as an option for Safari's search field


    For more information see this post: http://discussions.apple.com/ann.jspa?annID=923

    By the way, if you are using WEP security, you should realize that this is about the same as using no security at all. A hacker can crack WEP in seconds using widely available S/W.
  • moocherx Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I am already on 3.2.1 - it does not fix this issue.

    And, using WPA2 security.
  • JimHdk Level 7 Level 7 (26,725 points)
    moocherx wrote:
    I am already on 3.2.1 - it does not fix this issue.

    And, using WPA2 security.


    OK, since many iPad users are using multiple networks and not having this particular problem (myself included) there must be something unique about your situation. Do you have any details on the networks involved? Names, types, security, etc?

    One thing you could try (if you already haven't) is to go to Settings > WiFi > +your network+ and select Forget this network and then start afresh.

    If this doesn't work don't forget to enter a bug report on this (http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html). Give them all the detail you can. Apple doesn't listen hear for bug reports this forum is really intended for user to user communications.
  • moocherx Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I've tried "forgetting" the network, and it hasn't worked. I've gone through all possible scenarios while it's on (aircraft mode on/off; wifi on/off; wifi to a different network...) all the same.

    One possibility is that the Linksys 3G wifi router at work is on a PSK hexadecimal password. It is after the iPad has connected to this, that it cannot any longer connect to a wifi router with WEP/WPA (neither my Time Machine nor my Freebox (broadband router here in France).

    If I switch between non-hex passworded routers, there is never a problem. At least not one I've found. So I'm wondering if the iPad is somehow continuing to send a password in hexadecimal, despite the fact it displays as normal...
  • JimHdk Level 7 Level 7 (26,725 points)
    moocherx wrote:
    I've tried "forgetting" the network, and it hasn't worked. I've gone through all possible scenarios while it's on (aircraft mode on/off; wifi on/off; wifi to a different network...) all the same.

    One possibility is that the Linksys 3G wifi router at work is on a PSK hexadecimal password. It is after the iPad has connected to this, that it cannot any longer connect to a wifi router with WEP/WPA (neither my Time Machine nor my Freebox (broadband router here in France).

    If I switch between non-hex passworded routers, there is never a problem. At least not one I've found. So I'm wondering if the iPad is somehow continuing to send a password in hexadecimal, despite the fact it displays as normal...


    You may well have identified a bug here. Report it to Apple.
  • moocherx Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    done. Let's see what they come back with. I'll post any reply I receive here.
Previous 1 2 Next