8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2011 2:13 PM by mchinsomboon
DHD47 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Can't seem to figure out how to uninstall apps?

Thanks in advance...

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 27" iMAC, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPAD, App TV
  • dlg_az Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    Via iTunes. Go to the apps tab on your device in iTunes and uncheckmark any app you don't want to sync.
  • coppertrail Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    Press and hold one of the app icons on the screen for 2-3 sec. They'll start ti wiggle and an x will appear in the upper left hand corner of each icon. Tap the x on the icon of the app you wish to delete and confirm it. Press the hardware button to return the icons to their normal state. You can also move the icons in this state.
    Also a very good solution. In my case, I've done that a few times to only have them reappear on my iPad during sync. Not every time, but it has happened.
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (123,370 points)
    If you have Sync Apps selected under the Apps tab for your iPad sync preferences with iTunes (and you should) and an app is selected to be installed on your iPad, if you delete the app with your iPad - not by deselecting the app under the Apps tab for your iPad sync preferences followed by a sync which will remove the app from your iPad, the app remains selected under the Apps tab for your iPad sync preferences. If you don't deselect the app under the Apps tab for your iPad sync preferences with iTunes before the next sync after deleting the app with your iPad, the app will be re-installed on your iPad with the next sync since the app remains selected.
    Exactly. Great explanation. That's why I recommended to the OP to deselect the app in iTunes.
  • DHD47 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks - this worked. I was looking for a way to do it via iPad.

I'm learning....
    Allan's explanation below is great for understanding how it works.
  • mchinsomboon Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I don't understand why iTunes doesn't just deselect if for me? It should detect that I manually deleted on the iPad, so why should I need to repeat that procedure on itunes?

Additionally, when I install an app on the iPad, it gets deleted if I don't also select it in iTunes later.

This just seems like a bug to me that should be remedied. I have 1000's of apps, and it sometimes crashes iTunes if I scroll the list trying to select/deselect apps. Perhaps I should just delete all my apps in itunes and start over with a smaller list of apps that I really use?

Also, if I decide to not Sync Apps, will it still backup my data? How about my restore if I need to do that?