Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't copy iPhoto Library- "the alias iPhoto library cannot be copied..."

I am attempting to backup my iPhoto library contents on my iMac's internal drive (OSX 10.5.8) by dragging my iPhoto Library ( iPhoto 9, 8.1.2) from the "Pictures" folder in Finder to a firewire connected Ext HDD. The external drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled) and has plenty of available space. I have tried several times but, briefly after the file transfer starts, I get the message " The alias "iPhoto library" cannot be copied to the destination, perhaps because the destination does not support this type of alias". From what I've read here, my library is set up as a "managed" library- imports are copied to the iPhoto library. To my knowledge, I have no photos located elsewhere that are referenced in the library. I've had no problem copying other files, including my iTunes library. Any ideas? Thanks much for your help!

iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone 3G; macBook pro; iPad 3G

Posted on May 30, 2010 6:09 PM

3 replies

May 30, 2010 6:33 PM in response to Afveep

Hello Afveep,

Thats an interesting one. Click once on the iPhoto Library in your pictures folder and then go to File > Get Info.

If the "Kind" says "Alias" then this is not your library. Its an alias. Check the "Original" section of the info window to locate your actual library.

If the "Kind" says "iPhoto Library" then something else is going on. Try clicking on the library once then going to Edit > Copy. Then open up your external drive and going to Edit > Paste.

If that does not take care of it try putting your library into a disk image and then move the disk image over:
Steps to create a disk image and put your library inside of it can be found here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198 under "Alternatively, move the folder to a disk image"

Hope that helps.

Can't copy iPhoto Library- "the alias iPhoto library cannot be copied..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.