Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pinyin Tone Marks

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to type Mandarin PinYin tone marks on the iPad - e.g. ā á ǎ à ?

Many thanks,
Chris.

iPad, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on May 31, 2010 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2010 8:51 AM

When you hold down a key for a vowel on the virtual keyboard, I think you get a menu of accented characters which includes all of those diacritics except the caron (ǎ). To make that you would have to copy/paste or use an app like Unicode Table. Same for the iPhone/iPod (except these have a Czech keyboard where you can make carons).
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2010 8:51 AM in response to Xiphiae

When you hold down a key for a vowel on the virtual keyboard, I think you get a menu of accented characters which includes all of those diacritics except the caron (ǎ). To make that you would have to copy/paste or use an app like Unicode Table. Same for the iPhone/iPod (except these have a Czech keyboard where you can make carons).

Jun 3, 2010 12:58 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for the response. I didn't know about holding down the keys for the accents. However, the lack of the caron is still a problem. I've tried adding US Extended keyboard (which is the one to use for typing these marks on a Mac) and a few other keyboard combinations, all to no avail. If anyone reading this can work it out it would be much appreciated.

Jun 3, 2010 1:41 PM in response to Xiphiae

I've tried adding US Extended keyboard (which is the one to use for typing these marks on a Mac) and a few other keyboard combinations, all to no avail.

Do you have a hardware BT keyboard? Then setting the layout to US Extended should work fine. Caron is Option/alt + v, then the base letter. ǎ

Until the iPad gets more virtual keyboards, like the one for Czech, I'm sure there is no way to type a caron, only copy/paste.

Jun 25, 2011 9:27 AM in response to Xiphiae

There's now no need to switch keyboards, connect a hardware keyboard, or wait for held down keys or loading web pages. (BTW, in my testing, the Czech keyboard only has a 3rd tone option for "e", not for any of the other vowels. As for the acute accent and caron buttons next to the M, they don't work right with all the vowels.) Now, the fastest and easiest way to type pinyin, with proper diacritical tone marks, on the iPhone, the iPod touch, and the iPad is to use the app Pinyin Typist.

Here is the App Store link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/pinyin-typist/id443069995?mt=8

In Pinyin Typist, to type a 3rd tone "a", for example, just type an "a" like usual, then tap the 3 button on the toolbar above the regular keyboard. Pinyin Typist will then change the "a" to an "ǎ".

Pinyin Typist also recognizes complete, valid pinyin finals, and will automatically add the requested tone mark above the correct vowel of the pinyin final. E.g., to type a 4th tone “ai” pinyin final (“ài”), you can type “ai”, then tap the 4 button above the regular keyboard. Pinyin Typist will then automatically properly add the 4th tone mark above the “a” instead of the “i”.

Pinyin Typist has a dedicated Ü button, and it can convert both lowercase and uppercase vowels.

Once you've typed some pinyin text in Pinyin Typist, you can copy it and paste it elsewhere, like another app. You can also email your pinyin text directly from the app. Snippets of pinyin text can also be saved for future use.

For more info, go to http://troubadourworks.com/pinyintypist/.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link. <Edited by Host>

Jun 25, 2011 10:45 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

pjl123 wrote:

I dont know if it has all the choices you need

As was made clear in the other postings in this thread over a year ago, it does not have one of the choices needed, namely the caron, as in ǎ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caron

Yes, and not only does tapping and holding on the keyboard not provide all the needed options for pinyin vowels, it just takes longer than using Pinyin Typist, and this gets more and more true the more pinyin text one has to type.

Feb 26, 2016 3:21 PM in response to Xiphiae

OK, there is a built-in solution in the iOS software for adding 3rd tone Mandarin tone marks.

Not sure when it happened, but I just updated my iPad to iOS 9.2.1, made the changes and it works like a charm.

Here's what you do:

1. On your Apple Mobile Device go to: Settings\General\Keyboard\Keyboards\ and choose "Add New Keyboard..."

2. Choose "Add New Keyboard Chinese (Traditional)*

and you're almost done!

The final step is when you're entering Pīnyīn text you will touch a text field with your finger which then brings up a keyboard with a globe icon on it, and you must continue pressing the globe icon until the Chinese characters for Pīnyīn appear in the lower left corner: 拼音 , and then press on those characters to choose that keyboard, and then you will see the 3rd tone appear over the vowels in your text.

Thank you, Apple!

*or Choose: "Add New Keyboard Chinese (Simplified)

Pinyin Tone Marks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.