Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synched to another library, but not!

My Ipod was initially set up on a PC but in Nov. I upgraded to a MacBook Pro. At that time I was able to move my music and what not to my new Mac and have had no problems syncing my iPod with my new Mac. Yesterday, I was "attempting" to sync and I got the message:

ipod is synced with another itunes library. An ipod can be synced with only one itunes library at a time. What would you like to do? Erase and sync replaces the contents of this ipod with the contents of this itunes library.

What the...? No issues until now.

Question, which may seem elementary, but at this point I am brain dead.

If I choose to erase and sync, will it just put back everything that is in my library in itunes (because it does have everything that is on my Ipod now).

I also noticed that in itunes the format of my ipod still says windows....

the ipod is a 160GB second generation.

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but thanks in advance for your help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 10:13 AM

3 replies

Jun 1, 2010 10:26 AM in response to redcookie

redcookie wrote:
If I choose to erase and sync, will it just put back everything that is in my library in itunes

nope. it will erase everything on the iPod.

(because it does have everything that is on my Ipod now).

that is very dangerous. your should backup your precious media files. for future reference, see _*The Complete Guide to Backing Up your iTunes Library*_.

I also noticed that in itunes the format of my ipod still says windows....

i believe the correct course would be to backup your iTunes library first, maybe using your old PC, then formatting the iPod for use with a Mac. see this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA44535?viewlocale=en_US#faq7.

another option, if you still have access to your PC, would be to setup _*Home Sharing*_ on both machines and transfer your library via your network.

last but not least, check this post by Zevoneer for possible solutions.

J GG

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2010 10:31 AM in response to Jolly Giant

thanks for the info. i am sure i wasn't clear. i don't mind erasing everything on my ipod because it is all sitting there in my itunes library that it "seems" itunes would now like to sync my ipod to.

my pc is dead RIP (not). i have ipod rip and have my tunes on an external HD already so i am all set. but what i am really trying to determine is, according to the message i got, if it will indeed erase my ipod and put what is sitting in my itunes library (that i see now when i open the program) back on this ipod. (which if the case is totally wonderful).

guess i still need to resolve the windows format thing.

thanks again for your kind info!

Jun 1, 2010 10:35 AM in response to redcookie

redcookie wrote:
... but what i am really trying to determine is, according to the message i got, if it will indeed erase my ipod and put what is sitting in my itunes library (that i see now when i open the program) back on this ipod. (which if the case is totally wonderful).

i never owned a classic but i expect that is exactly what will happen. in fact, iTunes should offer you to format the iPod for Mac along the way.

J GG

User uploaded file

Synched to another library, but not!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.