Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture hanging and until force quit

I'm stumped. Aperture will work for a few adjustments and then I go to make another adjustment, and I get the beachball until I force quit. I've repaired the database, dumped preferences, tried the library on another machine. I have 4 separate Aperture Libraries and all are suffering at this point, though to different degrees. I spent a few hours with Apple Care and we went through lots of trouble shooting, but the problem remains.

Help!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Aperture 3.0.3

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 2:19 PM

32 replies

Jun 6, 2010 4:47 PM in response to xtravoice

Hi
There is not enough information to go on with any of the posts so far on this thread.

If your hard drive is 70% full then Aperture will hang...

If you have not let Aperture finish 'Processing' after installation. it will hang...

Try turning off Faces after installation, but make sure you leave it alone while 'Processing' is underway, Aperture > Preferences > General Tab uncheck turn on Faces. You can watch Aperture's progress by clicking the small spinning wheel at the bottom of the browser, left hand side.

Processing can take days depending on the size of your library.

All these items need working through.... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

If you are installing from an upgrade... http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3231

Hope this helps... Gerry...

Jun 6, 2010 10:54 PM in response to xtravoice

I am having the SAME problem with Aperture hanging (slide show presets). I must have sent over 150 error reports to Apple this weekend. I have re-built the library several times (permissions, data base, repair and rebuild). I re-installed Aperture 3, created a test user account, trying Aperture 3 as another user and the problem persists. I ran TechTool Deluxe on my system, re-installed the OS start up disk, ran disk utility a gazillion times and the wheel keeps spinning, and so is my head. I am beyond frustrated.
If I paid myself $.10 an hour for all the time I've spent ON Aperture rather than IN Aperture, I could have purchased Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom combined, and taken the weekend off.
I'm looking for help on this Aperture problem as well. It may be an uphill battle, I think Aperture 3 is way toooo buggy right now to trust with my life's work. Disappointedly, Aperture 3 release is really a big smorgasbord of bells and whistles, "something for everyone, bring the whole family" kind of a program. It is NOT for serious photographers, because it is not a work horse. It gets tired, and if you're determined to make a go of it, get ready to corrupt some files.

I am totally devoted to Apple thru and thru, always have been. For me, Aperture is Apple's biggest disappointment. I too spent a lot of time talking with Apple care, as well as hours at the Genius Bar and even more hours with one2one trainers. The wheel keeps spinning.

Jun 7, 2010 4:13 AM in response to tweetzero

My beach ball has been turning all night .I have been using Aperture for about 6 months.Didn't have to many problems,until a couple of days ago.
I first purchased Aperture 2, and upgraded to Aperture 3.3.

Everything worked beautiful uptill now.I have been singing the song,,The Windmills Of Your Mind'' by Michelle Le Grand.This helps me watching the spinning wheel!

Right now Aperture is busy repairing library;This might take days,since I have some 4000 photo's.

I am afraid of loosing them.

Jun 7, 2010 4:49 AM in response to Tony Gay

Hi Tony:

7:34 AM Toronto,followed up on you suggestion,using support apple.com/kb/ht3805.
Like you said,there might have been a corrupt file like a thumbnale or preview.
Right now it seems the problem is solved,I also think that sometimes we have a tendency to press a button to quickly before the Aperture Engine finnishes its processing.
Thanks Again: John Basso.

Jun 8, 2010 3:17 AM in response to xtravoice

Same here... there are times when i would make adjustments then suddenly the beachball would appear and aperture would just "hang" until i force the application to quit? Is it an integral flaw/bug of aperture 3.0.3? Or is it because i have a relatively large aperture library. My library is approximately 170GB. Total number of photos are around 25K. Maximum project size is around 6500, which is divided into albums. maximum album size is around 500 photos.

Do you think it hangs because of the size of my library or because of flaws in aperture 3.0.3?

I use a Mac Pro with 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon Processor, 6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, 2xATI Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB Video Card.

Thanks.

Jun 8, 2010 3:38 AM in response to rdcruz_md

I do not think it is related to your library size, I run multiple libraries, two of which are bigger than yours. I do run the Ap maintenance on the libraries regularly as preventative medicine.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2945

Most of my libraries are managed
I only turn face on when I actually need them.
I regularly use places.
I run a mixture of file formats
I have no third party plug ins
I am patient and understand that there are times where I have to let the mac play catch up, though I am not adverse to force quiting.
I have libraries on raids, firewire and usb drives

There is a file limit in projects, sorry can not find the figure but you will find it here the forums.

Tony

Jun 8, 2010 4:25 AM in response to Tony Gay

Thanks for the informative reply. Hope you would not mind if i ask what is or how do i do "Ap maintenance"? How do i do Ap (Aperture?) maintenance?

I'll try to look for the maximum file limit in projects... What i do is i place/collect all photos of the same year in one project which i divide into albums, that's why some project size are quite big (at least for me).

Thanks again, Tony.

Jun 8, 2010 12:57 PM in response to rdcruz_md

Same problem with Aperture 3.0.3 on multiple systems with libraries that were running better before-

reparing and rebuilding makes no difference-

staying within Aperture and not runnign plugs makes no difference-

I am furiously filing every single event with Apple via error reprort and crossing my fingers. . . . 🙂

iMac (new) runs Aperture better than my 2009 8 core MacPro.

Jun 8, 2010 3:21 PM in response to rdcruz_md

Ap, (Aperture) has the option, like many application of holding down different keys at launch to bring up alternative menus. This link describes some of the trouble shooting steps for Ap.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

Also worth running on as regular basis, weekly, are the tools in Disc Utility.

RB has some great reading and links on his site about workflows and set up for Ap, well worth spending some time sifting through finding what is relevant for where you are at just now.

http://photo.rwboyer.com/

Me I have separate libraries for major genres, corporate, sport, family.
within Corporate I have:
client folder/year folder/specific shoot* project/albums

*A shoot will be a max of a day, if the shoot goes out over a day it will typically have its own project

I run a library on my MacBookPro that I use as a temp repository whilst on location and for other bits.

My main library is starting to get a little unwieldy and with Ap now allow for easy library switching I am tossing around the idea of having a separate library for each client.

HTH

Tony

Aperture hanging and until force quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.