Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro 4GB, Cant create a Mac compatible partition.

I have got a 4 GB SanDisk Cruzer Flash Drive which I was using with PC.... It used to have 2 partitions, One for U3 driver and Other one for data... As Mac wasn't showing it on the Finder Window, I deleted both partitions and left it unpartitioned... Now when I connect it to MacBook USB Port it doesn't appear in the disk utility but System Profiler shows it as below:

U3 Titanium:

Product ID: 0x5408
Vendor ID: 0x0781 (SanDisk Corporation)
Version: 2.00
Serial Number: 4527721136C1AFD0
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: SanDisk
Location ID: 0x26400000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 200

Any Idea- How can I create a new partition on it and make it usable again...

Thanks....

MacBook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.3), Core2Duo 2.4 GHz, 4 GB, 250GB... Magic Mouse... iPhone 3G... iPod Nano 3rd Gen.

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 5:45 PM

Plug in the flash drive. Follow these directions:

Extended Hard Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select the flash drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (for Intel Macs) or APM (for PPC Macs) then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2010 5:45 PM in response to Masum

Plug in the flash drive. Follow these directions:

Extended Hard Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select the flash drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (for Intel Macs) or APM (for PPC Macs) then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Jun 4, 2010 5:21 PM in response to Masum

How did you repartition it? Normally those U3 drives need some funky software to repartition. You might be able to format it using the diskutil on the command line. It may not be Mac compatible. I used to have one of those things and gave it away. It works fine on PCs and on my old iBook but it never worked with my MacBook. I bought a Lexar Lightening instead. It works great on everything and is much faster too.

Jun 4, 2010 5:59 PM in response to Masum

{quote}I deleted both partitions and left it unpartitioned... {quote}

Not sure how you removed the partitions, but I used the Sandisk U3 removal utility. After that I could only get it to work if I formatted it on an actual PC with admin rights. I tried with Parallels but it wouldn't work. I have three of the Cruzers that I removed U3 from and they all work great now on my mac and PC.

http://www.macworld.com/article/134811/2008/08/usbdrives.html

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/aid/2550/session/L3NpZC80RTRsdUQxaw%3D%3D/kw/u3/rid/101834/sno/0

Jun 5, 2010 3:45 PM in response to garbageman

First I used PC + U3 removal tool to remove first partition and then tried it with mac..
when it wasn't working, I connected it again on PC then Deleted both partitions on DOS mode...
Now if I connect it to PC it shows un-patitioned drive on disk manager...
But when i connect it to mac it shows u3 drive on desktop and then disappear again...

Think something wrong with my flash drive.. will get rid of it...

But any idea which flash drive works well with mac and pc at the same time...

As I need to use it on PC while i'm at uni and with Mac at home...

Many Thanks..

Jun 5, 2010 5:20 PM in response to Masum

Masum wrote:
But any idea which flash drive works well with mac and pc at the same time...

I have two Lexar Lightenings that work great. I have an old PNY that work great but seems a bit fragile.

I had trouble with the SanDisk Cruzer and with a number of those super-small ones. Of course, that was a couple of years ago. Things may have improved.

SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro 4GB, Cant create a Mac compatible partition.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.