Skip navigation

Change "Date Added" value?

10225 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 2:39 PM by Mikemacx RSS
GaryKing Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 1, 2010 6:05 PM
How do I change the "Date Added" value for a specific song? Is there an AppleScript available that does this?
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM
  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,410 points)
    Jun 1, 2010 6:23 PM (in response to GaryKing)
    Can't change it.
    The only way to do it is set the date of your computer to when you want, delete the file from iTunes, reimport it then set the date back to today.
    iMac G5 (Rev B) ALS - 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.8), silver mini, blue mini, silver shuffle, iTunes 9.1.1 (12)
  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,410 points)
    Jun 1, 2010 7:23 PM (in response to GaryKing)
    The .itl file is not editable. iTunes manages it.
    Editing the .xml file will do no good.
    iMac G5 (Rev B) ALS - 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.8), silver mini, blue mini, silver shuffle, iTunes 9.1.1 (12)
  • wiswic Calculating status...
    Jun 12, 2010 12:39 PM (in response to Chris CA)
    I, too, have been looking for a way to modify the "date added" info, as I rely on sorting by that field. Unfortunately, (with successive migrations to new computers, I suspect) I've wound up with large chunks of my library having the same date/time, rendering the "date added" value virtually useless. Particularly frustrating is the fact that the correct purchase date or date modified shows up when I Get Info for the songs individually. It flies in the face of reason that there isn't some way to automatically extract those correct dates and plug them back into the database files on a library-wide basis, but greater minds than mine all say it just isn't possible.

So I'm left with your recommendation to delete the files, change the computer date/time, and then re-import them, which is daunting to say the least. I seem to recall from past searches, however, that changing the computer's clock repeatedly over a long period of time can interfere with other processes and cause bigger problems. Do you know if that's still an issue?
    iMac-3.06 GHz, MBP-2.4 Ghz, iMac-2.16 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iTunes 8.1, 5th gen. iPod
  • Matthew Morgan Level 7 Level 7 (22,420 points)
    Jun 12, 2010 12:46 PM (in response to GaryKing)
    iTunes script guru, Doug Adams addresses this question here:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/solutions01.php#033

Matt
    Dual 1.8 GHz G5 2.5 GB RAM/MBP 2.26GHz 2GB RAM/iPod nano 4g/iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.2), ATI Radeon 9600, Time Capsule, AirPort Express
  • wiswic Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Jun 12, 2010 2:55 PM (in response to Matthew Morgan)
    I had seen that FAQ on Doug's website and use a number of his scripts for other things in iTunes. Unfortunately, even his "Purchase Date to Comments" script along with one to take care of non-purchased music, isn't a permanent solution (although it may be the closest I'm going to come to it). Assuming I run the scripts and then use the "Comments" field for sorting from now on, I'll have to re-run it/them every time I purchase a song or copy a CD to my library. I had hoped another, non-AppleScript might be the answer, but that was a WAG at best since I'm pretty unfamiliar with how they all work.

I'm still not sure what the repercussions of messing with the date/time on a protracted basis might be—if any—should I decide to go ahead with the laborious remove/change date/re-import plan. Any thoughts?
    iMac-3.06 GHz, MBP-2.4 Ghz, iMac-2.16 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iTunes 8.1, 5th gen. iPod
  • Matthew Morgan Level 7 Level 7 (22,420 points)
    Jun 12, 2010 3:43 PM (in response to wiswic)
    should I decide to go ahead with the laborious remove/change date/re-import plan. Any thoughts?

I've alway took the Date Added for what it is.

Me, I'd find way to live with it rather than trying to trick iTunes in changing the date. Life is to short to spend time on certain endeavors.

But, to each his own.

Matt
    Dual 1.8 GHz G5 2.5 GB RAM/MBP 2.26GHz 2GB RAM/iPod nano 4g/iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.2), ATI Radeon 9600, Time Capsule, AirPort Express
  • Mikemacx Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Jan 21, 2013 2:39 PM (in response to GaryKing)

I know a way to do this, which is pretty simple when I figured it out. Depending on how many you have you can go about it two ways:

If you want to push some songs down the list as "older": Select the songs/Albums you want and drag to desktop or folder on the Desktop, then delete the songs from iTunes. Now in System Preferences, Change the Date and Time pref manually to whatever earlier date you want. Now reimport your Destop music back into iTunes. They will have the date added to whatever you chose. Now reset the Date and time to current.....You're done!

If you want to make songs/albums with a newer date, just drag them out to desktop, delete from itunes, and then reimport.....easy!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.