Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail account offline: "...Account exceeded bandwidth limits. (Failure)"

My Gmail account is offline, and has been for sometime. Seems I am able to send, but not rec'v email.

Did a google search and a search in this forum ... the fixes all seem to involve deleting the email account.

Won't deleting the account delete my saved emails? Since I use that account to track some items, I really don't want to loose the emails.

Hoping someone can hold my hand through this so I don't loose those emails.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you are able to provide. --MebeMac

iMac i7 (late 2009-W8948), TC (2T), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 2:07 PM

13 replies

Jul 18, 2010 10:04 AM in response to MeBeMac

Just found the solution in a blog:

- Launch Terminal
- Remove the directory ~/Library/Mail/IMAP... (your gmail account)/.OfflineCache
- Remove the directory ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Recovered Messages ([Gmail Account Name]).mbox

Go here ( https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha? ) and fill-in the infos.

Launch Mail again, and it should work again !

Cheers,

Ritchie

Nov 22, 2010 9:35 AM in response to William Kendall

This has been happening to me since I moved to 10.6.5, three times now.

The solution that works for me is to delete the GMAIL from Mail, then turn off IMAP in GMAIL online. Wait at least an hour and then IMAP back on and setup your gmail account again, and it should work.

Of course for me it is lasting for about a week and then happening again. This is so frustrating!

Dec 18, 2010 7:58 PM in response to Jonah Lee Walker

MeBeMac asked but never got a reply, so now I also ask:

If you delete the Gmail account won't that delete all your associated e-mails from the Mail app? I have loads of e-mails saved in folders in my Mail app that are not mirrored online at Gmail. Losing all those would be a catastrophe. Is there any way to delete the Gmail account without losing all my e-mail history from it saved in my Mail folders?

Once, in the past, when I changed Internet services I deleted my e-mail account from the old service not knowing that it would delete all the connected e-mails saved in my folders. I was astonished that Apple does not give a warning dialog before you delete an account.

So far I have found nothing else to work and no good instructions either about how to use the terminal to delete those two files.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. This problem has really put a hitch in my giddyup!

Message was edited by: mhb

Dec 27, 2010 9:17 AM in response to mhb

okay, since this thread appeared to be pretty dead, I took my computer to the genius bar. The genius there reassured me that since my Gmail account in the Mail application is an IMAP account, that I wouldn't lose any of my e-mails on my hard drive, which have been carefully saved in nested folders for many years. If you had a POP account than it does delete the e-mails saved in your folders, but not with an IMAP account. When you delete the account it will temporarily delete the folders from your Mail application that are listed under Gmail, but it will leave alone all the folders listed under “on my Mac.” Then when you add the account back in the ones that disappeared from under “Gmail” will reappear again. The only thing I lost was my drafts folder that had some drafts in it, but those could be reconstructed.

Jan 8, 2011 9:25 AM in response to Jonah Lee Walker

Happened to me 3 times since I last posted on this. What a pain! Have left more feedback with apple, but recommend everyone else does too, because their fix with 10.6.3 did not solve it, and since I just updated to 10.6.6 and then it happened, it is obviously not fixed there either.

Come on Apple, do something about this. This is so frustrating to be happening constantly.

Apr 11, 2011 1:35 PM in response to LP.Project

I just encountered this and am p.o.ed. I just migrated my domain to google mail, all users. A few weeks into it, and one morning, I'm locked out. I tried to delete the various folders that have been prescribed, but there really wasn't anything there to delete.

The captcha thing fails (won't accept my name with domain xxx@domain.com because it doesn't like the @ and doesn't recognize me without it.

is this an Apple Mail fail or a Google fail? I really don't want to have to delete all my mail every few weeks to keep using google mail.

Apr 11, 2011 5:50 PM in response to RADumas

For those using Google Mail:

1. Did you go into Google web Mail (online) and setup sending Imap? You can see what I am taking about at the blog post How To Setup Gmail, IMAP, and Mail.app?

2. Did you use Google's Mail 4.0 instructions and Recommended IMAP client settings?

Many people have reported that using these sites instructions will help with Google's Mail in Snow Leopard's Mail.

Gmail account offline: "...Account exceeded bandwidth limits. (Failure)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.